Changing NIC RRS feed

• Question

• I have discovered, through testing and reading the manual that the onboard NIC in my system is only 10/100 and not 10/100/1000.  So, I have a spare PCI gigabit NIC.

However when I disabled the onboard NIC the PCI NIC seems to be not working as it won't see my network.  I have used exactly the same IP settings on the new card but it won't identify a network, and won't attach to the Internet, being unable to see the PnP router, and the Homegroup doesn't work either.

I'm sure the NIC is working.  The drivers were automatically installed, as expected, correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?  Should it be a simple job, or are there some hoops I'm supposed to go through.

The onboard NIC was disabled when the new PCI NIC was installed.

Thanks,

Rob
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:47 AM

All replies

• What does ipconfig show you?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:43 AM
  • It shows everything correctly, Ken.  That's the first thing I looked at in trying to resolve the issue.

However, my 10/100/1000 switch failed shortly afterwards, so I'll get a new one amd try again as soon as I can.  I've had to slip in an old 10/100 switch for the time being.

The failing switch may have been the cause of the issue.  I'll let you know.

Thanks

Rob
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Yes, switches can fail, and yours is the most likely cause of your original issue. Probably the port you were connected to was able to make a connection @ 100 Mb/s, but not 1 Gb/s.

Note that this includes the switch built into your router, if you have a router with more than a single LAN port (and sometimes even if you only have one LAN port on your router, like a broadband modem). Failing switches is a common cause of poor network performance...

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Well, I did try again after changing the switch (which is only a 10/100), and incurred the same problem.

It says the network is unknown.  Infact it gives (on the network graphic) and yellow "i" triangle to the router, and a big read X between the router and the Internet.  Which is odd, a this computer is connected in exactly the same way, through the same switch and then on to the router.  But it did also offered error number 652!

The order for a replacement switch has been placed, as the old switch went completely dead.  I checked that the PSU was delivering power, and it was.  But I'm a little less confident that the failing switch was the cause.  It is more likely to be a faulty NIC, but that is speculation at the moment, until I look up that error code.

Thanks,

Rob
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:09 PM
  • How very odd!

I think the gigabit switch must have overheated or something, because I tried it again today and there is absolutely no problem whatsoever.  I was able to connect it to the network without requiring any further configuration!

mmmm Must check if it is on the static IP I set aside before being absolutely happy, but if I don't post again you can safely assume I've resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Rob
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:59 AM
  • That can happen (overheating). I would replace the switch anyway. If it's prone to heat issues, well, it's prone to heat issues and will continue to give you problems...
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:33 PM
  • mmmmm - Now the old switch or PCI network card seem to be limited to 100Mbps. I think you're right Ken, I'm going to have to swap out the old switch to see if it makes a difference.  But not tonight, I'm too tired.

Cheers

Rob
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Ok changed switch.  Problem could be either misconfiguration of the NIC, or the NIC doesn't do 1Gbps, because that has made no difference whatsoever!  Still only getting maximum of 12.5mbps when up/downloading files. :(
    Rob
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Up- or Downloading from where to where?

If you want Gigabit connection, there are several places, where something can go wrong. First check the network connection status on the server (right click the network adapter and select Status from context menu). Since server makes proof of quality before automatically determining the speed, even a GBit compatible network adapter can be run with 100 MBit. Reason can be a bad cable, a bad sitting plug on network adapter, switch or any connections inbetween or an outdated driver for the network adapter. In your case the problem can also be located between the client and the switch, where the same issues may block faster connections (assuming your clients have GBit adapters and are connected to the same switch).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:59 PM