WHS Connectivity Problems, Crash, Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have an HP MediaSmart EX 485.  From day one, I had problems with it dropping off of the network.  The only way to reconnect was to reboot the server.  I could "ping" the server and it would respond, but no other measures would help.  Over the last day or two, I had been reviewing the event logs, to see if I could spot a pattern, but no dice.

During one of these review sessions, the server locked up again, and nothing would bring it back (rebooting, etc).  I put the drive in my HP Media Vault NAS, and recovered all of my data without problems.  Put the drive back in the server, and called tech support.  After trying several different steps, the tech had me try to do a server restore.  The computer could contact the server with NO drive in it, but when the drive was placed in the unit, the server was unresponsive.

At this point the tech decided the OS partition was corrupt, and I needed to do a low-level format of the drive.  We ended the call.  Before I ran the format, I decided to run SPINRITE on the drive in data recovery mode, just to see how bad things were.  12 hours into the recovery, and spinrite is .03% done, with some sectors unrecoverable.

Couple of questions--

Appears to me the drive is hosed.  Do I need to put this drive back into service as HP wants me to do, and trust my data to it?  Or should I (nicely) push for another drive?

Is it likely that the drive was hosed by the need to reboot after so many lockups, or is it more likely that the drive had problems before the reboots?

And finally, is a "flakey Hard Drive" likely to be the source of the server dropping of of the network?

Thanks for any help!

David
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:26 PM

Answers

Appears to me the drive is hosed.  Do I need to put this drive back into service as HP wants me to do, and trust my data to it?  Or should I (nicely) push for another drive?

Is it likely that the drive was hosed by the need to reboot after so many lockups, or is it more likely that the drive had problems before the reboots?

And finally, is a "flakey Hard Drive" likely to be the source of the server dropping of of the network?
    My opinion is that you should never place a drive which has shown hard errors of any sort back into service other than as an extremely temporary stopgap measure. If the drive has hard errors, it electronics or physical media are probably failing. HP should replace the drive if you're still under warranty. It's likely the drive was failing for some time; the lockups indicate issues of some sort.

As for the server dropping off the network, yes a failing hard drive can cause this issue in a number of ways. Usually because the server has bluescreened.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by dwbland Monday, August 10, 2009 6:49 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi David,
    issues with the disk can keep the OS so busy, that it does not respond any more for a longer time (or even crash the OS or at least some services).
    I don't think, that the warranty allows to keep the broken drive, so you either need to send it as required or buy another one at your own cost and keep the broken one.

If you want to clean the drive before sending it in, you can attach it as secondary drive to another PC, open a command prompt as Administrator and try following commands:
    diskpart
    list volume
    (figure out, which volumes are part of that WHS disk)
    select volume X (select a volume, which you can assign securely with that drive, usually DATA partition - but be carefull, since a wrong selection will hurt your real data on the computer!)
    clean all
    This will run a long while. If the prompt returns, each sector on this disk will have been overwritten, so that the recovery of any data is at least very hard to do.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 10, 2009 1:44 PM

My opinion is that you should never place a drive which has shown hard errors of any sort back into service other than as an extremely temporary stopgap measure. If the drive has hard errors, it electronics or physical media are probably failing. HP should replace the drive if you're still under warranty. It's likely the drive was failing for some time; the lockups indicate issues of some sort.

As for the server dropping off the network, yes a failing hard drive can cause this issue in a number of ways. Usually because the server has bluescreened.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by dwbland Monday, August 10, 2009 6:49 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Thanks Ken, my feelings exactly!  20 hours into a Spinrite scan, it's still at 0% complete, and working on all kinds of errors!

David
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Greetings Guys,

I called HP tech support last night (I've gotten through very quickly every time I called), and basically told them I didn't have the equipment to do a format of the drive, because it has an SATA connection, and all of my computers are older, and have ata connections.  They agreed to send me a new drive!

Thanks for your help.

David
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:22 PM