WHS OSDisk not being used for storage. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just recently purchase the Acer Easystore H340, I have 4 2TB drives in it and for some reason when i add to my shares nothing is ever copied to the OS Disk. I have the add-in Disk Management and it is showing that my OSDisk is currently using 1% and all of my other disks are using 92%+. At most i have 140GB left of space on these including replication and i am worried about my data redundancy once i go beyond that if it starts to use the OSDisk. The problem is when i go to the Server Storage Tab it shows that i have 2.1 TB free space, but its not evening them all out. Is there anyway to make it use that disk for replication just like the others or will i have to move the System drive to another if i want it to use that 2tb for storage and replication?

Thanks,

Zach

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• This is normal behavior. The algorithm Drive Extender uses to place files on your server's disks favors the disk which has the least free space, as long as it has enough space for the file. The algorithm also prefers not to place files on the system disk unless there's no other place for them.

That said, you're correct in your guess that once your server begins to place data on the system disk it will not be able to duplicate that data. Normally, the answer would be to add another disk, but with an Acer unit, I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't think it has an eSATA port to allow you to connect an additional external drive, and I recommend strongly against the use of USB drives in the storage pool for performance and stability reasons.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:22 AM
  • So it would be smart to move the OSDisk to an 80+GB hard drive and use that 2TB for just straight up storage?
    Monday, January 10, 2011 1:51 PM