Does RC1 automatically activate? RRS feed

• Question

• Having wasted a few keys with reloading the CTP version, i followed the advice on the connect page about waiting to activate the key incase of re-installs etc.

Now i find that RC1 has activated itself, is this a feature?

Tom.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:24 AM

Answers

• You have 30 Days to activate Windows Home Server.  If you are being told your key has already been used, you probably used the same key in CTP and will have to get a new one from Microsoft Connect.

If you just install Windows Home Server and in less than 30 days it tells you to activate, that most likely is because your Time and Date settings during the install were incorrect.

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Each user gets 15 Keys.  You will need to do a Server Reinstallation to keep using it as is.

Are you sure the date and time were correct during the install?  That the BIOS never reported it wrongly?

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Yes, you'd see this message if during the install of Windows Home Server your date and time were incorrect.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 8:46 PM

All replies

• I had to activate mine manually, you get up to 30 days.  Strange that it seemed to do it itself on yours!
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:31 AM
  • I too had to do mine automatically, it kept popping up every so often to remind me to do it.  I made sure it was up and running and then activated manually.

strange

Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:38 PM
  • I was wondering if activation is semi-automatic.  I entered the key during the RC1 installation.  When I was bugged about activation I tried and was told that my key had already been used to its limit.  I had to get a new key (my second RC1 key) to complete the activation.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:34 PM
  • If it is, it hasn't happened on my server yet...it's still bugging me with periodic reminders.  Let's hope it doesn't automatically charge your credit card!  Meanwhile, back at the WHS RC,
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:15 PM
  • I had to manually activate mine.  It would not let me on and said I had 0 days and forched me to ativate.  When I did, it would not let me use the same key and I had to get a new key. Now it ativated on that key and now says I have 15 days left on my "evaluation copy and to upgrade to the retail version in 15 days."

It ran great for 4 days until I came in and found the server turned off. Not sure why, but got all this on the restart.  No other problems except I still have one client that just plain refuses to backup.  Two other clients seem to work fine.  Had same problem on CTP, but htis activation problem is new  I'm not sure what I am going to do in 15 days, guess I will have to re-install.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:54 PM
  • What gives? It has now decided that it needs activating, i have 26 days before i have to click the button. I'm going to let it run, just incase i trash it and need to re-install.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 2:51 PM
  • During the installation RC1 asks if you would like to activate when you go online, if you click yes it does, if you don't you are given 30days to activate.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:01 PM
  • @RCH Is the date and time correct on your WHS machine?
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Yep, they are correct.  That is the first thing I checked.  I believe the machine shutdown after an automatic update.  On the restart is when I got the message that I had 0 days left to activate but, it had only been running for 4 days.  I had to activate as it would not allow me to log onto the system without activating.  When I did, it told me that my key had already been activated. Which was probably correct as it is probably the same key I was using for CTP.  I got a new key and it required me to activate that key before going forward, so I did.  Now it says I have 15 days on "Evaluation Software and to upgrade to Retail version"  So, in 15 days I guess I will have to re-install as there is no Retail Version yet.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:41 PM
  • You have 30 Days to activate Windows Home Server.  If you are being told your key has already been used, you probably used the same key in CTP and will have to get a new one from Microsoft Connect.

If you just install Windows Home Server and in less than 30 days it tells you to activate, that most likely is because your Time and Date settings during the install were incorrect.

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:22 PM
  • You are correct in that it was the same key as for CTP.  But, it ran great for 4 days and then I got the message that I had 0 days to activate and forced me into an activation.  I activate and that is when it said the key had already been activated.  So, I got a new key and it forced me to activate that key.  Now I can log into the system, but it tells me that the "Evaluation software will have to be upgraded to the Retail version in 13 days.  Under the Resource tab in WHS, it says the software will expire July 7, 2007. 

Now the first things I checked was the date/time on all machinces and they were all correct.  It started doing this after a restart from an automatic update.  What are my choices now?  A re-install with a new key or is there another way to keep it from expiring in 13 days.

Thanks... RCH

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:30 PM
  • Each user gets 15 Keys.  You will need to do a Server Reinstallation to keep using it as is.

Are you sure the date and time were correct during the install?  That the BIOS never reported it wrongly?

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Joel, just to be clear, if the date and time are wrong during install and then (automatically) corrected, we'd get this situation?

Difficult because we wouldn't know, as the server is now correct :-/

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:15 PM
  • Yes, you'd see this message if during the install of Windows Home Server your date and time were incorrect.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 8:46 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

Each user gets 15 Keys.  You will need to do a Server Reinstallation to keep using it as is.

Is that a typo, or is it correct? 15 keys for the CTP for every user?

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:49 PM
  • Sorry, up to 15 requests for keys in Microsoft Connect.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 8:55 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Sorry, up to 15 requests for keys in Microsoft Connect.

That's what I was getting at - the 15 being correct! As this is the first MS Beta I've been on, not sure of MS policy on things like this. It seemed high to me after being limited to 4 or 5 keys in connect for Beta 2 and CTP. Quite a jump to 15 keys for RC1!

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I was afraid I would have to do a re-install.  Yes, the date and time were correct. The only thing off was the time (pacific)  Since I am in the Eastern time zone that is one of the first things I do after the install. I correct the time settings.  I usually let the server run overnight and then the  next day I will install the connect software on one of the clients.  It ran 3or 4 days fine and then during an auto reboot after and upgrade I got the message that I had 0 days left and it forced me to activate. When I activated, it told be the key had already been used. (it had been used in CTP).  I got a new key and it forced me to activate the new key to continue.  I did, and now it says that I have 13 days on "EVALUATION software and to upgrade to the RETAIL version"  Under the resource tab  it says that the software will expire 7/7/2007 (about 13 days).  Again, I think this all started after and auto reboot after the system did an automatic update.  I will let it run for the next day or two and re-install this weekend.  Thanks for your help... RCH
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:50 AM