server backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone explane to me how to remove server backup's, i,ve got backup's from 3 month. Is ther ea way to set server backup for a specified time..... Is there a way to clean up client backup's at any time i want?

thanks in advance....

Jef..

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:54 PM

All replies

• Jef

There is no way of managing server backups short of swapping out or formatting your backup disk. Yes, you can change server backup time and frequency (as often as every 30 minutes). It's in the Dashboard, Computers and Backup - select your server in the list and in the right hand panel, Customize backup for the server and Change Server Backup Settings.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Hi Philip,

sorry for my bad englisch.... This i already know. But does server backup goes one foreever then?

Greets, Jef....

Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Jef

Until you tell it not to - it is an incremental backup.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Hi Jef and Philip,

As a new member now, I was going to post about the same problem. So now I follow this thread.

My server is also doing automatic backups, but it's constantly eating space on my external HD. Two weeks ago I still had some 100 GB of space and now only 30 GB! (and there are no big new items on my client computers). What is happening?

So it doesn't seem to be an incremental backup...

Like Jef I can't remove backups. Formatting seems the only way. Making a new backup then takes a long time...!

Grtz,

Bert (Netherlands)

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:01 PM
  • I seem to recall someone from Microsoft saying that once a server backup drive starts to get full, then WHS 2011 will automatically erase the oldest server backup to make space. However, I haven't been able to find the link anywhere.

If you want to see the full detail of what's going on with server backups, then you can RDP into the Administrator's Desktop on the WHS 2011 box, and look at the Windows Server Backup section of the Server Manager application.

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Bert

Ths is all a little unclear - I agree with the statement by Geoffc1 but can not confirm it at the moment. Backups though have to be incremental or the backup drive would fill up much quicker than it does now. Mine seems to have stabilised and hardly changes in size since I stopped messing around with BluRay rips.

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:45 AM
  • I seem to recall someone from Microsoft saying that once a server backup drive starts to get full, then WHS 2011 will automatically erase the oldest server backup to make space. However, I haven't been able to find the link anywhere.

Yeah, that was posted; however, subsequent reports showed that's not always the case. It works for some and not for others. IOW, your backup drive may start getting full and WHS 2011 will follow through and erase the oldest backups; however, my drive may start getting full, but WHS 2011 knows nothing about it and refuses to erase older backups.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, June 27, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Hi All,

thanks for thinking one this one.

Would it be possible to go in the server HD backup disk and manually delete the oldest files?

Jef...

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:44 PM
  • No, as the backups are incremental, you will need them all to be sure all your data is there.

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Would it be possible to go in the server HD backup disk and manually delete the oldest files?

No, but you can remove the drive and relocate it to an outside location. :)

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Hi Philip, and others,

In the meantime I have a server backup alert: low space. And I didn't add files to my client computers!

On the C-drive of my server is 24 GB used and on the D-drive 239 GB used. Together 263 GB. Used for server backups on the external HD 275 GB... Huh, the backup is bigger than the files on the server???!!!

Here on this forum and also on Technet I read the backup is indeed incremental. In the meantime I have 21 server backups, and this 275 GB. Is there maybe a chance for filecorruption?

All a little bit strange. I get a low space warming, I can't delete backups, a backup that is bigger than the files together... What could be the solution? Formatting?

Bert

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Have you deleted anything from your client or server data store recently which will still be contained in an old server backup. Relatively easy for the backup to be bigger than a single point in time for the data being backed up.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:52 PM