Windows 7 Validation RRS feed

• Question

• When I downloaded Windows update manager, in the beginning the updates were going fine. But then Windows 7 said that i need to validate my software. So i went to the site but its not really clear exactly what happens with the validation thing. My question is that, if i attempt a validation, do i have to provide some info, like a key or a serial number, and if i do not, then does the validation software work on its own? And if it does, will it block me from using my computer in case the report comes back "invalid", or will it attempt to fix the problem and still let me use my computer regardless of the fact whether the problem is fixed or not// Im running Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:09 AM

Answers

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

You will NOT lose data - although you may lose acess to certain programs that use that data.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:31 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Ayush11,

I am unsure what you mean by "Windows update manager".  Could you provide the link where you downloaded this from?

Also, when you say "Windows 7 said that i need to validate my software" What did it say exactly and what was the URL of the site it sent you to?

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:24 PM
  • The actual message i received was: "This copy of windows in not genuine, please validate your copy of windows at..." and then it gave the URL. So, if I do perform this Validation task (prompted everyday by a "set of keys" in my taskbar), do i risk losing all my data? And do i need to enter any key? I just  shifted so searching for the product key might be difficult. I'll try to get the URL as well, but it was a Microsoft site, that i am sure of.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:23 PM
  • To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

You will NOT lose data - although you may lose acess to certain programs that use that data.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:31 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:15 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:31 PM