MONEY SUNSET'S VERSION OF PORTFOLIO MANAGER. CAN'T PRINT RRS feed

• Question

• This problem with PORTFOLIO MANAGER has developed in the past month. I have the long term future US version of Money Plus installed and working. (often referred to as the Sunset version) I started using this version in January and have been able to PRINT the summary showing all my individual stocks and mutual funds each month end. Suddenly, in the past several days I can't print this. I can access it and update my data manually. I can print all other reports including "transaction report" etc. But when I have the Portfolio Manager summary on the screen and I hit "more" and then "print" and then "Portfolio Report" from the left side of the screen. Nothing happens. I have searched my print set-up but all seems normal.

My question: Does anyone know why this may be happening? I even tried "ctrl P" on my keyboard. Other Money Plus screens DO print. Why would this one not print? Any help or solution would be greatly appreciated. I REALLY want a "hard copy" of my Portfolio Manager report. Thanks. Steve

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:47 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the details of the Portfolio Manager columns etc. I've left IE9 on my 64-bit test system and will do some further testing this weekend. However, it appears as if the problem is quite random and not related to the underlying OS. The ONLY common denominator is Internet Explorer 9.

This is the second reported problem with IE9 and Money that I know of. Some months ago, I was able to recreate a BSOD problem with IE9 on a 64-bit system when printing invoices from the Money Business version. This may be an ominous sign for the future, as further changes are made to IE which will break Money functionality. Unfortunately, as Money is now unsupported, these will not be fixed unless they also affect other (supported) products.

• Edited by AshleyST Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:52 AM Tidy up my spelling mistakes ;-))
    • Marked as answer by Money user Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:54 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:51 AM

All replies

• I'm assuming that you do NOT get the printer dialog prompt asking you where you wish to print the report to ?

You could check to see if the report was actually created, as follows,

On my Windows 7 system that report is created in,

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\temp.htm

On my Windows XP system that report is created in,

C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Temp\temp.htm   

In both of the above locations, myname is the name of the signed on userid. 

Obviously if the last copy of that file was not the last one you requested then the report is not even being created.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Ashley,

Thanks for responding. I'm on Microsoft Vista system. You are correct that I'm not getting the printer dialog prompt. When I use the file and then print option at the top of the screen in Money Plus, I then normally get the print report dialog prompt which is linked to my printer. I get this for every screen within Money Plus in which I want to print and the print option is not blanked out EXCEPT for the Portfolio Manager screen. There I hit the file and then the print option, just like other screens, BUT the print report dialog prompt does not show. This just started recently and I'm not sure if I inadvertenly did something or if Microsoft somehow stopped allowing the printing. I do not believe the report is being created and I'm wondering why. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Steve

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:20 PM
  • You should be able to find a copy of the last report created. Were you able to find a file called temp.htm in either of those locations I suggested ?  If not, use Windows Explorer to locate it on your C: drive.

From running the report myself, it appears as if Money creates the report and writes it to disk and then requests for it to be printed. If you can find a copy of the file we can see that it's being created and the problem is related to printing it. If the last copy of the file on disk is say from a month ago, we can see the report isn't actually being created. I'm just trying to narrow down the exact point of failure.

It should be noted that Money uses Internet Explorer for building its screens etc. so is it possible this has started happening following an update to Internet Explorer (perhaps last months "Patch Tuesday") ? 

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:32 AM
  • I don't know what you mean by "Portfolio Manager summary". If I go to Portfolio Manager and click  More->Print->PortfolioReport gives a window with a title bar "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\temp.htm" with an error message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

If I instead choose CopyToClipboard, I can paste in to an appliation, such as Notepad. I get the portfolio info.

This is with Sunset on Win7.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:04 PM
  • I just realized that in August I upgraded Internet Explorer from version 8 to version 9 via AOL. I didn't think or understand that this would impact my Money Plus Sunset version but from what you are saying, it may be. I am not too knowledgeable about how these things work,but timeline wise my problem with printing the Portfolio Manager report may have started after installing IE9. Can Ashley or Cal walk me thru what I can do now? Unfortunately, I'm NOT tech oriented. Thanks. Steve
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:08 PM
  • If you want to revert to the previous version of Internet Explorer, follow the steps in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9 in the "To uninstall Internet Explorer" section.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:14 PM
  • If I go to Portfolio Manager and click  More->Print->PortfolioReport gives a window with a title bar "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\temp.htm" with an error message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

That doesn't sound right. By default, a filetype of HTM should be associated with Internet Explorer.

I should add, I can print the Portfolio Manager summary correctly on systems (Windows 7 & XP) where IE8 is installed. 

Steve, you should follow the link that Cal gave you for reverting to the previous level of IE.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Steve, Cal,

I've just installed Internet Explorer 9 on my Windows 7 test system and been able to print the Portfolio Summary report without any problems.

Are you running 64-bit perhaps ? If not, the only other (obvious) difference would be that I'm using Money 2005 UK.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:01 PM
  • On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:04:51 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

>
    >
    >I don't know what you mean by "Portfolio Manager summary". If I go to Portfolio Manager and click  More->Print->PortfolioReport gives a window with a title bar "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\temp.htm" with an error message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
    >
    >If I instead choose CopyToClipboard, I can paste in to an appliation, such as Notepad. I get the portfolio info.
    >
    >This is with Sunset on Win7.
    >

Cal,

Printing the Portfolio Report on my system, navigating as you describe above, seems to work OK:

Money Plus Deluxe  (V 17.0.120.1415)
    Windows 7 x64
    IE9

I don't have Sunset installed, but I would have thought it to be very similar to Money Plus Deluxe

Ron
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Cal, Ashley & others,

After careful reflection I decided to revert back to IE8 from IE9. I had gone to IE9 because my AOL homepage kept suggesting I update. In the month or so I used IE9 with my Vista system I didn't see any real benefits for me and I WAS hopeful that reverting back to IE8 would restore my printing capability with Portfolio Manager. I just converted back and I just was again able to PRINT the August 31 balances and analysis from Portfolio Manager. Thank you all for your comments and help.

I do not know if this print problem was unique to me or if anyone using the Sunset version of Money Plus with IE9 and Vista would have the same problem. Perhaps someone here might want to check it out. Anyway, I'm happy and satisfied. Thanks again.

Steve

Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I can confirm your problem.  I am running Money Sunset (US) on Windows Home Premium 64 bit with IE9.  I went to Portfolio > Other Tasks > More > Print When I click on Portfolio Report I get a very brief flicker and nothing happens.  If I click on Transactions Report, however, I get a box that asks which Investments and what dates I want to print and then goes to the Print options box.  So you are not alone (although I don't use this feature, and didn't even know it existed).
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe Cal and/or Ashley can look into this for others. Steve
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:52 PM
  • I'll see what I can do.

I have a Windows 7 64-bit test system but it doesn't have either Money Sunset US or IE9 installed but I can do that tomorrow and report back. 

Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:36 PM
  • I did the following on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit test system.

1. Uninstalled Money 2005 UK

2. Installed US Money Sunset (with existing Internet Explorer 8 on system)

3. Setup new investment account and added both Mutual Funds and 'Other' type investments. Entered buy transactions for newly created investments.

4. Displayed Portfolio manager using default View and Printed Portfolio Summary report. 

5. Altered default view and included new columns. Printed Portfolio Summary Report.

6. Installed Internet Explorer 9.

7. Displayed Portfolio Manager using existing view and Printed Portfolio Summary report.

I wonder if the reported problem is caused by either specfic data and/or the columns selected.

Perhaps Steve/bobjbkln could say what columns their Portfolio Manager is displaying and what the display is grouped by (Investment Name or Investment Type perhaps ?).

Friday, September 9, 2011 2:41 PM
  • As requested, here is my column heading.  My individual investments are stock, bonds and mutual funds.  My listed Account names are for both brokers and mutual fund companies plus an account called "Downloaded Quotes", set up to get price data using hleOfxQuotes.:

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Ashley,

I use a custom configuration for my portfolio manager. But when I couldn't print it I tried the standard view and still couldn't print it. Some of the columns in my customised view are: Name, Symbol, Quantity, Market Value, Basis (Cost), Realized Gains, Gain, etc. I REALLY don't think this was the problem. I note that you tested using Windows 7. I have Vista. Now bobjbkin ran into the same print problem and he WAS using Windows 7. But I do think that since I have been using Vista now for almost four years and Money Plus Sunset since January with no problems printing portfolio manager and then when I updated to IE9 it wouldn't print and when I reversed to IE8 it DID print again, kinda indicates to me that there (may be?) some glitch in IE9 as it relates to the Vista system in regards to printing Portfolio Manager. It would be great if someone using Vista with IE9 could check it out.

Steve

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I have Vista and IE 9. I was able to

do More -> Print -> Porfolio Report

and is prompted for the printer to print to.

Sunset Money.

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Thanks for the details of the Portfolio Manager columns etc. I've left IE9 on my 64-bit test system and will do some further testing this weekend. However, it appears as if the problem is quite random and not related to the underlying OS. The ONLY common denominator is Internet Explorer 9.

This is the second reported problem with IE9 and Money that I know of. Some months ago, I was able to recreate a BSOD problem with IE9 on a 64-bit system when printing invoices from the Money Business version. This may be an ominous sign for the future, as further changes are made to IE which will break Money functionality. Unfortunately, as Money is now unsupported, these will not be fixed unless they also affect other (supported) products.

• Edited by AshleyST Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:52 AM Tidy up my spelling mistakes ;-))
    • Marked as answer by Money user Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:54 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Thanks Ashley and others. I'm happy to be back to IE8 and again able to print my Portfolio Manager. This question may have been unique for me, so I will mark it as answered. Steve.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:58 AM
  • I had that problem too of "CTL+P" no longer working, but I found a solution accidentally.  I needed to have Microsoft Access and Powerpoint, and I had them on an older set of Office 2007.  After I installed the old versions, later that night when I hit "CTL+P"  I was pleasantly surprised to get the print dialogue box back.  I have been printing my portfolio with no problems since.  Hopes this helps.  Good Luck.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:05 AM