Windows 7 decided "not genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• Great way to treat a loyal Microsoft user.  Completely genuine copy of Windows 7 Professional (bought through your own "Ultimate Steal" program - receipt available if you need it) decided last night that it was no longer genuine.  Apparently the "product key has been blocked by Microsoft", but unfortunately it's not possible to report Microsoft to Microsoft as a fraudulent seller.

Thinking it might be a glitch, I restarted the machine to find that Windows 7 will no longer boot at all.  It simply hangs at the black splash screen.  Startup recovery won't load either.  Fortunately I dual-boot XP on the machine for legacy games.

It's a real shame that you treat paying customers this way.  Like the movie companies who force people to watch 5 minutes of anti-piracy ads when a pirate copy wouldn't have them at all, this has f***** up my whole day.  You should have been thanking me on bended knee for buying a legitimate copy; yet I get this.

Worse of all, I'm stuck in a hotel room in another COUNTRY from my Windows 7 install DVD so I can't even nuke the old partition and try again.  Sorry about the rant; some info on the problem but I think it's unfixable.

* Computer is a Macbook Pro 13 inch unibody running Windows 7, XP, and OS X through Bootcamp.

* It worked absolutely fine until last night when it downloaded a security update designed to catch illegal copies of Windows 7.  At this point it announced that the copy of Windows wasn't genuine.  

* I tried to reactivate and this is when I got the message saying the key was blocked by Microsoft.

* I tried System Restore to get back to a point before the update.  This crashed and the computer will no longer start.  Tried startup recovery, won't load either.  Confident no malware or viruses on the computer, have been consistently running Security Essentials.

Cheers,

Dave

(a formally loyal and now exceptionally pissed off Windows user)

• Edited by Darin Smith MS Monday, May 24, 2010 6:30 PM Being Non-Genuine would have no affect on Windows 7's ability to boot. Title fixed.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:37 AM

Answers

• TO the OP

If you get your computer running download and run MGAdiag and paste the results in your thread go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

To THEAJFrost, start your own thread then follow the same instructions posting the diag in that thread.

THanks

Carl

Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:27 PM

All replies

• I suspec that your system may have a severe problem!

The Activation/validation mechanism does NOT inhibit users of the system beyond the nags.

You either have

1) a severe insfestation of malware

2) a failing hard drive

3) failing RAM

or 4) some othr severe problem

You can't System Restore out of the WAT update - it's outside of the RS remit (deliberately), if I remember right.

The black screen it hangs at - does the cursor show?

If so - try Safe Mode with Command Prompt - if that woorks then open Event Viewer  (EVENTVWR.MSC) , and look in the System and Application Windows Logs to see if you can see the causes there.

HTH

Noel Paton | CrashFixPC | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Would you believe that the same thing has happened to me, but it was on a restart this morning. Geniune Windows 7 Ultimate, have the receipt, box, DVD's, COA, the lot to prove it. It gets through to the black screen and then says it's non-genuine. Unable to enter code again, unable to activate over the phone. My genuine copy of windows has less use than a rip off, 15 years of buying Microsoft software for? it appears nothing, nada, ziltch. I have 7 geniune COA'd copies of XP, 3 for Vista and even my ME, 98SE, 98, 95 and my DOS 6.22, Win 3.11 for workgroup disks in the same chest.

If a computer games fails to activate on my computer, I can contact the company and they will need a scan of the box and the serial number, Microsoft has a loop on their support website which kept me looking for quite some time before I realised that there was no pot of gold help at the end of the search, it just kept going. Bing only brings up ways to remove the WAT the illegal way and that's not what I want for my Geniune Microsoft Product. Where's the cheery person on the end of the phone to solve my issue? You're surely wealthy enough to have that.

The computer and all of it's components are 6 months old, and it runs GTA IV without crashing or offering an error, it is not a hardware component at fault for this.

Come on Microsoft, install a little faith here.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:08 PM
  • TO the OP

If you get your computer running download and run MGAdiag and paste the results in your thread go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

To THEAJFrost, start your own thread then follow the same instructions posting the diag in that thread.

THanks

Carl

Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Thanks for the link Carl, on my way now.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:12 PM
  • TO the OP

If you get your computer running download and run MGAdiag and paste the results in your thread go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=5201

No reply from Original Poster (OP)

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:53 PM
  • This has also happened to me, at first in the bottom right hand corner it states 7600 problem Not Genuine copy.  I tried to activate but I can not get the product id now becuase the pc has decided to boot to a black screen.

Please help

Sunday, November 7, 2010 10:08 AM