I'm excited now...no more new feedback on Connect RRS feed

• Question

• So they shut off the feedback function on the Connect site...what does this mean from a timing perspective?  How close are we to the release of RC1, and how long do they usually run an RC trial before RTM'ing?  It depends, I know, but in general terms...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:16 PM

Answers

• The email today stated that back up will need to take place BEFORE installing RC. It did state that you could try to use Server Recovery, but there is a known bug in CTP and that may cause a total loss of data.

So, get your hard drives warmed up, because if you have not been doing so with this Beta ...you will be doing the Back Up Shuffle..LOL

How long before RC1? Dunno, but Ken Warren or another MVP may have an Estimate on that. Typically, it's secretive...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:39 PM

All replies

• I dont know, but I hope i have time to come up with another external drive to back up all my data before the CTP expires
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:41 PM
  • You'll need to back it up before installing RC1!
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:46 PM
  • The email today stated that back up will need to take place BEFORE installing RC. It did state that you could try to use Server Recovery, but there is a known bug in CTP and that may cause a total loss of data.

So, get your hard drives warmed up, because if you have not been doing so with this Beta ...you will be doing the Back Up Shuffle..LOL

How long before RC1? Dunno, but Ken Warren or another MVP may have an Estimate on that. Typically, it's secretive...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:39 PM
  • (I'm not even an MVP...)

I'm going to hazard a guess that Microsoft is trying to get it out tomorrow. That way everyone who's not away for the long weekend in the US will be able to download and play.

Those of us who are traveling are, well, SOL. Smile
    Friday, May 25, 2007 1:23 AM
  • OK - we'll see what comes down the pike tomorrow.  I'll be airborne/driving most of the day, but I'm planning on taking the laptop with, so I'll check in tomorrow night to see.  There's always Sunday...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 2:46 AM
  •  

Anyone noticed that MS changed the Connect web page back to the old CTP page ? No mentioning of RC1 any more. Hope that's not a sign of bad news for a delay - I got everything copied, and am ready to upgrade !

Dirk

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Dammit, I just wish they'd hurry up and post the new links.

I wasn't able to install the CTP and I just got out of hospital on Wednesday, so I'm backing up all my data to another drive now.

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:18 AM
  • Nah - If you log into the connect website it still lists it at CTP, however, if you go to http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver in a new browser window, it lists the details for the RC1 Add-in competition and registration of interest to get RC1.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:21 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    (I'm not even an MVP...)

YET. If there is any justice in this world you will be the first WHS MVP after your contribution here

Gordon

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:26 AM
  • It's still coming up as the CTP for me.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:28 AM
  • I hate to be a wet blanket, but I wouldn't release a "major" update the day before a 3 day weekend when most of my team weren't working, and I suspect Microsoft would be the same. The download & activation servers would probably need babysitting etc. so I expect to see something early next week.

Having said that I really, really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY hope I'm wrong

Gordon

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:39 AM
  •  Richard Holland wrote:
    Nah - If you log into the connect website it still lists it at CTP, however, if you go to http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver in a new browser window, it lists the details for the RC1 Add-in competition and registration of interest to get RC1.

Ah ok, it indeed looks like you have to be signed out of Microsoft Connect to see the new page...

Dirk

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:39 AM
  • Yeah that worked for me too. Smile
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:55 AM
  • Yes. Excited too....so, a couple of things. 1) Cant wait to unveil my Home Automation add-in as part of the WHS product offering

(and contest) 2) Contest says one must register for the RC1? Is this for non-beta particpants or for anyone using RC1. I am under the impression  beta users get the RC1 upgrade?

Perhaps I am employing too much wishful thinking, but if I read between the lines, the comment that there will be an upgrade path from RC-1 to RTM implies that RTM will come before the October 'death date', meaning I wont have a 2U brick in my rack come Halloween? Does anybody else read it that way?

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:48 PM
  • 1) We'll look forward to hearing the details! Good luck in the competition.

2) It's to encourage non-registered to sign up. As you'll have gleaned from other posts, the invite for beta users is "in the mail"

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Agreed, Gordon! Ken has done stirling work here.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:52 PM
  •  chucklyons1 wrote:

Perhaps I am employing too much wishful thinking, but if I read between the lines, the comment that there will be an upgrade path from RC-1 to RTM implies that RTM will come before the October 'death date', meaning I wont have a 2U brick in my rack come Halloween? Does anybody else read it that way?

Assuming that RC-1 has the same 180 day timebomb as the CTP, once you upgrade you should be set until at least late November. I would also assume that either RTM or RC2 would come before that time. Also, since we've gone from Beta2 to RC1 in only about 4 months, I would think we could get from RC1 to RTM within no more than 90 days.

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:12 PM