Weird DNS issue - nslookup RRS feed

• Question

• I built a secondary domain controller (2003 R2) and installed DNS on it.   AD replicated DNS to the new domain controller normally.  The new domain controller is configured to used itself as the DNS server.  Here is where things get weird.  When I open up a command prompt on the new domain controller and nslookup yahoo.com, I get a result that is differnet than when I use nslookup on another host using the new domain controller as the DNS server.  For example, on a different machine's command prompt, I type in n"slookup yahoo.com IPofNewDomainController".  Any ideas on what the reason for the different nslookup results could be attributed to?

Monday, December 27, 2010 11:47 PM

All replies

• "autoxr" wrote in message news:d05ba136-c0be-4f07-992e-3e96ad1474a0...

I built a secondary domain controller (2003 R2) and installed DNS on it.   AD replicated DNS to the new domain controller normally.  The new domain controller is configured to used itself as the DNS server.  Here is where things get weird.  When I open up a command prompt on the new domain controller and nslookup yahoo.com, I get a result that is differnet than when I use nslookup on another host using the new domain controller as the DNS server.  For example, on a different machine's command prompt, I type in n"slookup yahoo.com IPofNewDomainController".  Any ideas on what the reason for the different nslookup results could be attributed to?

This is not really a forum for technical questions - you should try posting to a more appropriate one...

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Here is an update. 

When I use the trailing dot as stating in the article below it the results are consistent.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200525

Note: When I try the nslookup command on my other domain controller, the results are consistent.  The two domain controllers are different versions however.  The older domain controller is not R2. 

I am still wondering why I would have to add a trailing dot on the new domain controller but not the older one.  On the new controller, the Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix box is not checked.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Ok, figured out a fix.  On the new R2 server, i needed to choose the Append these DNS suffixes (in order) option and specify the local fqdn of the AD.  At this point, nslookup results are consistent between the two controllers and the remote host.  Not really sure why this is the case between 2003 R1 and R2.  Anyone care to chime in?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:51 AM