WHS Remote Connection setup wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I believe there should be a wizard that is part of the WHS installation that walks the user through setting up the WHS for remote internet connections using a dynamic ISP IP address. If this was in the installation, which I performed yesterday, I missed it.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:29 PM

All replies

• Do you want to use your WHS as your internet router ?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:38 PM
  • No, I have a Linksys router/gateway that works fine. The WHS is wired into the router. The rest of my computers connect to the router wirelessly.

I thought, based upon the WHS documentation, that WHS would allow me to remotely access both the WHS shared folders and other computers in the workgroup.

I have a dynamic IP address from my cable company, so I need some way of consistently finding my WHS machine on the internet. I am suffering from the impression that WHS is supposed to do this.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:47 PM
  • If this solution has already been implemented, I'm not aware of it. But most SOHO routers (from netgear, linksys...) have a Dyndns service preconfigured.
    You can build a VPN tunnel to your WHS from any computer on the as long as you open the correct port on your router and redirect the port to your WHS (this solution may work without any problem as you can do this with any 2000, XP, 2003 or Vista computer. But this is not really easy to configure as you don't have any user friendly interface to do the job en 3 clics ...

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I know about DynDNS, and have used it, but I thought that Windows Live and WHS were going to be integrated so that this could be done otherwise.

I have an inexpensive third party solution, Global PC at www.ihelpcenter.com, that I currently use. I had hoped that WHS would let me combine two things in one, and allow me to do away with this solution.

I am still new to WHS but I am not impressed with what I see thus far:

1. The backup is not seamless and has bogged down my router.
    2. Setting up the backup when excluding directories is a royal pain.
    3. LAN sharing of media files, i.e., music/audio, video, photos, is not seamless. Some of this stems from DRM, but since Microsoft is the purveyor of the DRM software, PlaysForSure, they have to take responsibility and fix this.
    4. Remote access is not as simple as I expect.
    5. The UI is not well thought out, nor comprehensive. Some items are right clicks, some are icons, some are menus...

This is my list after 12 hours. I hope it does not grow with time.

I do not yet see much utility in WHS that is not well served otherwise.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:37 PM
  • The easiest thing I've found to use to connect remotely is Hamachi. If you aren't familiar with the product, it's a very light-weight VPN client that is ridiculously simple to use. Using it, I was able to connect to my console via HTTP and view my shares in explorer. I was even able to add a PC from my office network to the list of computers in WHS (which now begs the question, how do I remove the computer?)
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:24 PM
  • I am aware of Hamachi but have never used it. I guess I'll have to try it now. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:45 PM
  • I to have heard about and am interested in such a feature. Basically, you connect to a website, that allows you access to the files on your Home Server as well as Remote Desktop. You sign in the website with a username and password that has been setup on the system.

There are a few examples and mentions of it on Paul Thurrott's site:
    ... What's amazing about WHS, however, is that it also offers these facilities remotely, via the Internet. To make this work, Microsoft is providing WHS users with a free Internet address via Windows Live. This address will give you a remote interface into your entire home network, not just WHS. You will be able to access any shared folders remotely, or even control individual PCs remotely.

It sounds useful, but I have yet to see how to implement it.

EDIT: I did find some information on this in the documentation. However, it only gives you information on how to set it up on the WHS side, nothing about getting a Windows Live Domain and connecting it to your IP/WHS. Looks like UPnP isn't supported in Beta 2, so you have to setup your Router manually. :(
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:01 PM