bare metal backup fails RRS feed

• Question

• This worked a few times and then failed. So much for a "home server". I am not backing up data because it also failed after a few runs. I am only trying to backup c drive so if the thing fails I can recover it. It now fails every time - event log

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎06‎-‎14T11:09:48.266000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348249'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

That is not exactly home friendly. I just want it to work. Why should a home users have to spend hours trolling logs and forums. 

Can anyone from the home server team fix this. The disk has plenty of space for the tiny c drive OS. I have 400 gig free on an external usb drive.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• This worked a few times and then failed. So much for a "home server". I am not backing up data because it also failed after a few runs. I am only trying to backup c drive so if the thing fails I can recover it. It now fails every time - event log

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎06‎-‎14T11:09:48.266000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348249'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

That is not exactly home friendly. I just want it to work. Why should a home users have to spend hours trolling logs and forums. 

Can anyone from the home server team fix this. The disk has plenty of space for the tiny c drive OS. I have 400 gig free on an external usb drive.

This happened to me and in my case it was caused by the use of an AHCI driver that wasn't really supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (the underlying OS in WHS 2011). Once I either went back to the default MS AHCI driver or used the correct Intel SATA AHCI driver, the problem went away.

Are you using a dedicated backup volume?

Stuart
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Either dedicated or not, makes no difference. Using the home server console or the server 2008 tool. When I posted in the server forum as a Technet benefit subscriber I was told to post here but this is not an actual support forum but community. Very disappointed in the product. A poor follow up to WHS 1 and really this is its death.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:16 PM
  • You may have hardware issues (RAM, bad disk, a gremlin inside your computer) as well.
    Miha Markic [MVP C#] http://blog.rthand.com
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Either dedicated or not, makes no difference. Using the home server console or the server 2008 tool. When I posted in the server forum as a Technet benefit subscriber I was told to post here but this is not an actual support forum but community. Very disappointed in the product. A poor follow up to WHS 1 and really this is its death.

WHS 2011 is an OEM product; either you or your supplier is the support.

And it's a bit early to determine the products "death" already.

Both StuartR and Miha Markic's answers are a starting point for fault investigations.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:58 AM
  •  

I have used it since version 1 and see the signs. Already they have 

1. Drastically reduced its cost. Alarms ring.

2. Manufacturers dropped it. HP! Alarms rings.

3. There are few and far between add ons. Alarm rings.

And by the way Acronis and Macrium image the server OS without issue every time but why did I buy it if I have to double cost by buying a stand alone backup solution!? I love server 2008 R2 but this home server is the most half baked product since Vista!

By the way, I still can't get the backup to work. A home user has no hope of reading event logs. And as far as you saying it is an OEM product see point 2. Also who supported version 1. Us! Us home builders kept version 1 alive. I think my point is well made and can anyone help with the original post?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Just been doing a bit of research. The error you are getting seems related to disk space on the system reserved or boot partition. Have you reduced the default partition size?.

From another forum

"when you start to backup from systemstate ,first system create a volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and boot partition .

this error appear when system try to create volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and free space of this partition is low ."

for repair this problem following this instruction :

type "compmgmt.msc" in run or open computer managment

1- go to storage --> disk managment

2- right click on system reserved partition and click properties

3- go to shadow copies tab and then click setting

4- change " located on this volume" to another partition

5- now , start backup systemstate agian.

The info is as copied from the other location. May or not be of help.

I am putting on my devils advocate hat now:

1. Drastically reduced its cost. Alarms ring.                     The only reason I bought whs2011 as I agree with your overall assessment of the product and nearly did not purchase.

2. Manufacturers dropped it. HP! Alarms rings.                There are other manufacturers still very much alive and I personally would only build a WHS myself.

3. There are few and far between add ons. Alarm rings.   It is still very early days. I am presently running MyMovies and Lightsout which are both top class addins.

If drive bender or stablebit turn out to be as good as they are presently appear to be they will be more than worthy replacements for "DE".

Possibly I have been fortunate but I have not been bitten at this point by the multitude of issue's that are being discussed in the forum. Since installation WHS 2011 has been performing within its limitations fine. It is a bit undercooked and I personally think it was rushed out of the door too soon. Shades of the vista release.

Client restores are certainly fine. My media centre lost the HD and restored to another disk with no issue's. I have not presently tried a server restore since the RC days and once I am satisfied with my server I will try a bare metal restore. If it doesn't work correctly I will at least know my way around!. 

I hope you are not correct in this being the last WHS product. I tend to think of it as WHS Vista. I think most would agree that Vista evolved into a pretty good OS in Win 7. Maybe WHS 2011 can do the same with the next version :). I can but hope.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:17 AM Missing word
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:18 AM
  • You still hoping that  WHS is going to be continued?  Well.... ignorance is a bliss...sometimes.  Paul Thurrott from  http://www.winsupersite.com/ and others claim (and, I tend to agree with him), that Microsoft already gave up on WHS project and this is already reflected by the OEM's not releasing ANY new hardware with WHS preinstalled. Disappointing for sure, but unfortunately true.  I guess, I'm gonna have to by one license and build my own box... just in case my old HP EX475 kicks the bucket. For some reason many people at MS have an attention spin of a 2 year olds. They give up so quickly on projects that actually are amazingly useful. 
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:56 AM