WHS recovery after disk removal RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently trialed WHS (downloaded from the states online - and valid for a month) and set it up using a 232Gb internal sata drive. This was automatically partioned and the data was transferred from my main PC (named MASTER). I then increased the data pool size by adding two 10Gb drives and enabled duplication for my photo collection. Then the trial came to an end. I bought WHS and reinstalled it but during the reinstallation problems I got myself in a right old pickle and ended up doing a full reformat on one of the 10Gb drives. Needless to say the server storage screen shows it as missing (although the drive is attached). When I try to remove the disk I get the message "file conflicts prevent the hard drive removal".

The server storage window is also unable to generate the graphic showing the storage pool usage.

The only good news is that I do have backups of the server on a seperate USB drive.

Is there a way of advising the Drive extender to clear down its records of the missing drive, so that I can re add the drive to the pool. If I can get to that stage I should then be able to recover the data from the backups.

Unsurprisingly I am getting errors reported from the migrator, preserver and WHSarch systems.

Nigel Rogers
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:30 AM

Answers

• Reinstallation and restore is now complete. I just have to spend some time adjusting the configuration but it all seemed to go without a hitch..... Thanks
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:26 PM

All replies

• Captain Buck said:

I have recently trialed WHS (downloaded from the states online - and valid for a month) and set it up using a 232Gb internal sata drive. This was automatically partioned and the data was transferred from my main PC (named MASTER). I then increased the data pool size by adding two 10Gb drives and enabled duplication for my photo collection. Then the trial came to an end. I bought WHS and reinstalled it but during the reinstallation problems I got myself in a right old pickle and ended up doing a full reformat on one of the 10Gb drives. Needless to say the server storage screen shows it as missing (although the drive is attached). When I try to remove the disk I get the message "file conflicts prevent the hard drive removal".

The server storage window is also unable to generate the graphic showing the storage pool usage.

The only good news is that I do have backups of the server on a seperate USB drive.

Is there a way of advising the Drive extender to clear down its records of the missing drive, so that I can re add the drive to the pool. If I can get to that stage I should then be able to recover the data from the backups.

Unsurprisingly I am getting errors reported from the migrator, preserver and WHSarch systems.

Nigel Rogers

First, 10 GB drives have no real value on WHS because it tries to keep 20 GB free per drive.

Have you tried disconnecting that drive, then going through the drive removal process in the Console?  (Also, are you saying you formatted that drive while reinstalling WHS?  If so, I would start over again with another Server Reinstallation.)

Monday, March 2, 2009 2:12 PM
  •  I have tried to remove both drives 10Gb drives and the system still quoted file conflicts as a reason not to process the request.

Clearly I have no alternative other than to purchase a larger drive. In the mean time I am going for a reinstallation. If this is the only way I can tidy up the envornment then so be it.

I shall let you know how I get on.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Reinstallation and restore is now complete. I just have to spend some time adjusting the configuration but it all seemed to go without a hitch..... Thanks
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:26 PM