none
I want to search my WHS files from the start menu RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

I just turned my old computer into a Windows Home server with 2 tb of storage, and moved all my video, music and document files over to the server.

However, now I have lost the most important Vista feature: Start menu search! Via the start menu, I no longer can find any the server files, just my local files, e-mail and contacts. I have set the start menu option to search my entire index, but obviously, the home server maintains its own index.

I find it utterly annoying almost to the point that I want to revert back to my old system with keeping all files in my local computer. At least then it's a whole lot easier finding my documents.

I know I can open the network location in Vista and search from there. But it sort of defeats the whole purpose with the Vista search, which was supposed to find files without me having to know where to look. Instead of quickly beeing able to find a docment, I now have to launch an explorer window, navigate to the network and start searching. And some files are still on my local computer, so now I no longer feel organized, and have to search several places to find something.

I tried to install the UNC Path plugin, which makes it possible to map a network path to the search. However, it adds only some of the files on the WHS to the index, and when howering over the search result, it does not tell me the file path nor can I open a folder directly from the search. Also there seem to be some severe file corruption and file locking issues with this plugin.

So, my question is, is there anyone who could give  me a logical reasons behind Microsoft not giving users a working solution to search our files from the start  menu, other than local files? It just makes doesn't make any sense to me. We live in a networked world with multiple computers, servers and external NAS/storage devices. Yet, it seems like Vista Search is built for the 1980s or 90s when you stored all your documents locally on your computer. Or am I missing something here?

• Edited by Fredrik70 Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:01 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:57 PM

All replies

• As you've learned, Vista Search is able to interact with the search index on a remote computer, such as a server. To do that, it has to contact the server and determine whether a catalog is even available. It won't keep a local index, since that would require opening and reading every file on the server (or at least file types with indexable content) and this could cause significant network performance issues, particularly on a slow network.

Since your issue isn't really a Windows Home Server issue (WHS makes it's catalog available just like any other server with indexing turned on) you might want to pursue this in a forum or newsgroup for Vista. The Windows Vista Community on the Microsoft web site is probably the best place for you to start.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:08 PM