Help requested - Seeking datapoints regarding WHS 2011 server backup failures RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone,

As some of you are aware there have been reports of failures when using the server backup feature of Windows Home Server 2011. Similar to the Computer Monitoring Error, more data is necessary to help Microsoft track down the root cause and ensure that a proper fix can be provided.

If you're seeing these failures please file a bug report at http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer including as much detail as possible about your configuration, any applicable screenshots, and be sure to collect the log files and attach them to the report.

To collect the log files please use the Windows Server Solutions Log Collector available at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567.

Instructions for installing and using the Log Collector:

1. From a client PC, browse to the above link, download the tool and copy to a shared folder on the server

2. From a Client PC, launch Remote Desktop Connection (can be found in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories)

3. Type the name or IP address of your server and click connect

4. Type 'Administrator' for the user name and use the password that you would you if you were connecting a new computer to your server

5. Once connected, browse to the shared folder that you downloaded the Log Collector tool and run the installer.

6. The installer will place a shortcut to the tool on the desktop. Run the tool and it will collect the logs and place them in a shared folder.

7. From your client PC, grab the ZIP file that was generated and attach it to the bug report filed through Microsoft Connect.

Once you've filed the report, please post a link to the bug report to this thread so that we can keep a running reference for Microsoft in one spot.

(NOTE: Only links to bugs relating to server backup failures should be posted here.)

Thanks!

http://www.tomontech.com

• Edited by Tom Ziegmann Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:31 PM corrected grammar
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:30 PM

All replies

• This thread also covers a number of failures which seem to be related to USB 3.0 drives:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/c492c9d6-37c9-42f1-9968-acbda3c8f5cf

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Thanks Tom to drive it, I've already got some cabs for investigation.

Hi, Customers,

When you met the server backup issue, you can open the event viewer to get more details about this issue. Event viewer is under Administrative Tools, Control Panel.

After launching event viewer, please expand the left tree pane and locate Windows Logs -> Application. In the left Actions Pane, click Filter Current Log. In the poped dialog, please check Critical, Warning and Error in the Filter tab, and click OK. Then, you can see the error and warnings happen in your system. For the Source which is backup or VSS, it is relative to the server backup feature.

According to the logs I got, here is some causes.

If you met EventID 518, it means the server backup failed because another server backup or restoration is under progress. So, you can ignore it safely.

If you met EventID 51 for external HD by firewire, it means the driver needs update.

If you met EventID 519, it means server backup has some conflicts with client backup in some rare case which is still under investigation. This issue will not always repro and you can try schedule Server Backup and Client backup in different time to mitigate it. E.G, Client backup at 12:00 AM and server backup at 3:00AM.

If you met EventID 547, it is some access deny issue which is still under investigation. There is some resource conflicts underneath and this issue is in lower repro ratio. According to report from customer. It happen once every 1 to 2 weeks. You can try trigger server backup later.

Thanks for help us to make Home Server a better product!

Best Regards,

Junyong

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Junyong,

I just posted more logs from last nights backup failures.  Hope this helps.

Chuck

Chuck

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi, Chuck

Thanks for providing the logs!

The issue happened at 4/17 is because of read error with some client backup file. It is the event 519 issue. And the logs you provided for the failure at 4/1 and 4/8 share the same reason.  

Could you share with me the server backup schedule and client backup schedule of your server and clients? When you met such issue, the client backup is under progress? If yes, which client has the backup operation in progress? If not, how about run server backup manually when there is no client backup under progress.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Junyong,

My server is backed up at 12:00 PM, (noon), and 2:00 AM.

• On 4/17 at 2:00 am it ended at 2:20 am (it was Unsuccessful)
    • On 4/16 at 2:00 am it ended at 2:19 am (Successful)
    • On 4/15 at 2:00 am it ended at 2:18 am (it was Unsuccessful)
    • On 4/14 at 2:00 am it ended at 2:17 am (Successful)

Computer backups are scheduled to start at 12:00 am (midnight) and end by 6:00 am

• On 4/17 “StudyPC” Properties reports 12:44 am (I’m not sure if that is when it began or ended)
    • On 4/17 “ShirleeI5” Properties reports 12:16 am
    • On 4/17 “Kitchen-PC” Properties reports 12:35 am
    • On 4/17 “FamilyRoom” Properties reports 1:00 am
    • On 4/16 “StudyPC” Properties reports 12:37 am
    • On 4/17 “ShirleeI5” Properties reports 1:41 am
    • On 4/17 “Kitchen-PC” Properties reports 12:53 am
    • On 4/17 “FamilyRoom” Properties reports 10:00 pm (Manual backup, this PC had been powered off for about a week)

Based on the computer backups and the Properties times, I THINK those are end times since the server is scheduled to start at 12:00 am.  If that is right, then I don’t believe any computer was being backed up when the server backup started at 2:00 am.

I just ran a server backup, at 10:10 pm, and it was successful. The weird thing is that I never have a backup failure on the computers; it’s only the server.  I believe whenever I run a manual server backup, most of the time it is backed up successfully.

Based on your questions and the above data, I did see one or two instances when a computer was being backed up after 2:00 am BUT there are still multiple instances where all computers were completed before 2:00 am and the server backup was still unsuccessful.

Let me know if I can help in any other way or provide any additional information.

Thank you for helping!

Chuck Coleman

Chuck

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hi, Chuck,

Thanks for the info!

It seems a hardware relative issue. What's the HDD you used for storing client backup data? What's the HDD you used for backup destination?

After checking the system event logs, there are event warning 51 and error 11 reported for your disks. It might be a compatible issue according to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/726fa80d-a077-416d-9fd4-13851d13476a.

Please use "chkdsk /r" to make sure your disks are ok at first. And you can try the instructions under  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd364767(v=ws.10).aspx. Please provide me the error info in event viewer if it still fail.

PS, by following the instructions, you can create a one-time backup by using dashboard.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Junyong,

It looks like it's going to be another day before I get the results of the chkdsk run.  I'm using  Western Digital's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and it's been running for almost 5 hours and it has another 11 hours to go.  I'll let you know the results tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help,

Chuck Coleman

Chuck

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Junyong,

I ran chkdsk /r on my PC, (not the server), using Western Digital's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics program.  After 15 hours, there weren't any errors.  I decided to mount the hard disk back into the eSata enclosure, hook it up via the same eSata connection, RDP into the server and run chkdsk /r from the server.  No problems were found. 

I don't believe it is a hardware problem. Please advise what you need me to do next.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hi, Chuck

Thanks for your kindly help!

Please complete scan *data disk in the server* which stores Client Computer Backup folder and ensure there is no hardware issue at first.

Generally, the product will try to read data from disk with several tries, if none of them succeeded, there will be read error message "device is not ready" just like what inside your log file. So, I suspected there is disk issue inside at first.

If there is no such issue after running chkdsk, please consider doing following:

1. Use the move share folder feature in dashboard to move the Client Computer Backup folder to another disk.

2. Update the backup policy to include this share folder which has updated location.

3. Wait to see whether the server backup failure issue with event 519 happen again.

If you don't have another disk to store the Client Computer Backup folder, you can update backup policy to exclude this folder and wait several days to see whether this issue will happen again.

These steps can help me to identify it is a disk specific issue or Client Compute Backup data specific issue.

Please provide me the hard disk model you used which has such issue also. If there is any sensitive information you don't want to publish here, you can send it to my mailbox. It is juyao@microsoft.com

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Junyong

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Junyong,

I wasn't sure by *data disk in the server* what you meant but I'm running a chkdsk /r on it.  Let me know if that is not what you wanted me to do.  Also, my data disk is mirrored.  I don't know if that makes a difference.  They, (both mirrored disks), are mapped to drive E.  When I run chkdsk e: /r, I'm not sure if it is running chkdsk on both?  The two mirrored data drives are:  Seagate ST31500541AS and a Western Digital WDC WD1501FASS-00W2B0.

I'll let you know when chkdsk completes if it finds any errors.

Chuck

Chuck

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Junyong,

I ran chkdsk /r on my server data disk; it found no errors.  See below.

I have also moved the Client Computer Backup folder to another drive.  I'll let you know if the errors continue.

Chuck

Chuck

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Junyong,

At your request, I moved the Client Computer Backup folder to another drive.  I also ran chkdsk /r on my server data disk(s).  I also ran chkdsk /5 on my eSATA server backup drive and found no errors.  I then reformated the server backup disk and started server backups fresh, like the server had never been run before.  The server backup failed last night.  I will post the log files on Connect.  So, after moving the Client COmputer Backup folder, running chkdsk on the server data drives and external backup drive, I'm still having the same backup reliability issue.  What do you now suggest?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Hi, Chuck

Thanks for the package! The same issue happened again. I will investigate more and give you update later.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:35 AM
  • Multiple failures again, they keep happening.  I'm posting to Connect the latest log files.

Chuck

Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:12 PM
  • My backup drive uses eSATA as the interface.  I just changed it to USB to see if that makes a difference.  The external enclosure has both USB and eSATA ports.  I'll see what happens over a couple of days.

Chuck

Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:29 PM
  • This issue is resolved with turn on the shadow copy of impacted volume.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Hi All,

There is wiki published for the known issues and their workarounds.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11872.server-backup-known-issues-and-resolutions-en-us.aspx

Best Regards,

Junyong

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:18 AM