Mislabelling of drives - SCSI for SATA? RRS feed

• Question

• When I look at the server storage screen on WHS it lists one of my hard drives as a SCSI disk device with a location of Internal(SCSI).  This drive is actually a SATA drive connected to a SATA PCI card as my PC did not have SATA on the mobo.  I don't have any SCSI drives in my system. Should I report this as a bug? 

In addition, my SATA card was not recognized at install - should this be reported as a bug?

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 9:42 PM

Answers

• WHS can only report what it believes to be the case, operating on information received, so if something doesn't report itself correctly, or reports to be something else, WHS has no way of verifying. Out of interest, you could open Device Manager and see what it reports.

The card not being recognised doesn't count as a bug, it's just the hardware configuration - some BIOS don't support SATA without extra drivers.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:41 PM
  •  wayner9 wrote:

When I look at the server storage screen on WHS it lists one of my hard drives as a SCSI disk device with a location of Internal(SCSI). This drive is actually a SATA drive connected to a SATA PCI card as my PC did not have SATA on the mobo. I don't have any SCSI drives in my system. Should I report this as a bug?

In addition, my SATA card was not recognized at install - should this be reported as a bug?

Also many old type sata controller pci card, the BIOS see it then as "SCSI", that normal issue. as well need drivers for the OS to see them.

I just add this regarding the "SCSI" issue. When Crash word more than enough indeed.

My best.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 11:00 PM

All replies

• WHS can only report what it believes to be the case, operating on information received, so if something doesn't report itself correctly, or reports to be something else, WHS has no way of verifying. Out of interest, you could open Device Manager and see what it reports.

The card not being recognised doesn't count as a bug, it's just the hardware configuration - some BIOS don't support SATA without extra drivers.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:41 PM
  •  wayner9 wrote:

When I look at the server storage screen on WHS it lists one of my hard drives as a SCSI disk device with a location of Internal(SCSI). This drive is actually a SATA drive connected to a SATA PCI card as my PC did not have SATA on the mobo. I don't have any SCSI drives in my system. Should I report this as a bug?

Also many old type sata controller pci card, the BIOS see it then as "SCSI", that normal issue. as well need drivers for the OS to see them.

I just add this regarding the "SCSI" issue. When Crash word more than enough indeed.

My best.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 11:00 PM
  • I have found the same problem using a Highpoint rocket 133sb pci ide card.  It lables the drive as scsi but it is ide.  As long as you don't have any device conflicts you should be fine.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:02 PM
  • Yes, I see the same thing on my SATA drives connected to a PCI SATA controller.  My issue was not enough SATA ports!

I wouldn't worry about it.  As long as HS sees the disks, it doesn't matter whether they are reported as connected by SATA, SCSI or Wet String

When setting up, you should get a dialog box advising what disks are found and have the option to install drivers for any others that exist.  Just place the drivers for the SATA card onto a floppy or flash disk and point the dialog to it; it'll install them and find the disks.

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:38 PM
  • Some of my drives get reported this way too. They are IDE though showing up as SCSI. I think it's just because my mobo has separate channels to configure Highpoint RAID. Even though I'm not using the raid function, it still works for the extra drives. It's an Abit IT-7 MAX v2.0. Highpoint drivers can be a little funky sometimes, even in XP.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:50 PM