I Killed My Server, Any Way To Get My Data? RRS feed

• Question

• I had been experiencing extremely slow server performance and diminishing ability to access files on my WHS. After checking the Event Viewer, I found numerous System Logs (every few seconds) reporting a bad block on one of the two WD 1.5TB hard drives I have in the server (There is also a Samsung 500GB drive in there as well). SMART listed several thousand read/write errors on that drive as well. The other two had 0. It was not my system drive, so I got a RMA'd drive from WD and attempted to add it to the pool. With the failing drive attached, the system was unusable. I removed the cables from the failing drive and rebooted. I was able to add the new drive to the pool in short time, and attempted to remove the missing failed drive. 18 hours later and still only 95% removed. One CPU core was fully utilized, but no processes showed that much utilization. I checked the Device Manager and it showed The 500GB drive and the new 1.5TB drive in PIO mode although DMA was to be used when available. At this point I figured the removal would never finish like this and since the missing drive wasn't attached, I was going to loose what small amount of data that was only on that drive...nearly everything was duplicated and I could loose some computer backups as I could do a backup when WHS was up and running. I quit the drive removal and rebooted the computer to see if the drives would be redetected and go to DMA. Now, the computer will post and the WHS logo will display. From there the computer reboots, even in safe mode. I've tried booting with only the 1.5TB (system) drive attached, but the same thing happens. I'm sick to think about what has happened, and at this point feel that a reinstallation is necessary. As my other computers were backed up and duplication is on in WHS, I didn't have another backup of my shares. Is there anyway to get WHS back up or at least troubleshoot what is going on, or short of that, can I get my data off the (seemingly good) system drive?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 12:18 AM

All replies

• I had been experiencing extremely slow server performance and diminishing ability to access files on my WHS. After checking the Event Viewer, I found numerous System Logs (every few seconds) reporting a bad block on one of the two WD 1.5TB hard drives I have in the server (There is also a Samsung 500GB drive in there as well). SMART listed several thousand read/write errors on that drive as well. The other two had 0. It was not my system drive, so I got a RMA'd drive from WD and attempted to add it to the pool. With the failing drive attached, the system was unusable. I removed the cables from the failing drive and rebooted. I was able to add the new drive to the pool in short time, and attempted to remove the missing failed drive. 18 hours later and still only 95% removed. One CPU core was fully utilized, but no processes showed that much utilization. I checked the Device Manager and it showed The 500GB drive and the new 1.5TB drive in PIO mode although DMA was to be used when available. At this point I figured the removal would never finish like this and since the missing drive wasn't attached, I was going to loose what small amount of data that was only on that drive...nearly everything was duplicated and I could loose some computer backups as I could do a backup when WHS was up and running. I quit the drive removal and rebooted the computer to see if the drives would be redetected and go to DMA. Now, the computer will post and the WHS logo will display. From there the computer reboots, even in safe mode. I've tried booting with only the 1.5TB (system) drive attached, but the same thing happens. I'm sick to think about what has happened, and at this point feel that a reinstallation is necessary. As my other computers were backed up and duplication is on in WHS, I didn't have another backup of my shares. Is there anyway to get WHS back up or at least troubleshoot what is going on, or short of that, can I get my data off the (seemingly good) system drive?

First thing I would suggest is to shut down your server, connect your primary drive to another computer and run chkdsk /r on both partitions.

In any event, you can connect any WHS drive to another computer and copy your data from [drive letter]:\DE\shares (DE is a hidden folder).  See this FAQ post for details.

Monday, July 19, 2010 12:28 AM
  • I was able to boot using the "Last Known Good Configuration", and I'm running chkdsk on all drives in the WHS (system drive, new 1.5TB, and samsung 500GB).  The first 3 steps went quickly, and then it stopped at 5,000 out of 100,000 on step 4, a few hours later up to 10,000 and the next morning 20,000.  I had to go out of town, so I'm letting it run the rest of the week.  Two drives are still running in PIO mode.

I also pulled the "bad" 1.5TB drive out and I'm running chkdsk on it on another machine.  I was able to get to my shares on this drive, but could only transfer a few hundred MB before it failed to copy anything else. 

If all goes well and the WHS drives finish the chkdsk when I get home, I'll try to copy the data to another drive.

I plan to reinstall WHS.  I'm thinking I'll use a smaller drive for the system, keeping it off the data drives.  I also plan to setup an external backup for the shares.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:16 PM