WINSS.exe Brings system to a halt RRS feed

• Question

• I think that OneCare upgraded itself a couple of days ago on my XP Stystems.

I was unable to get the computers on my home network to talk to each other.  I found a new option dealing with something called a "Circle".  After investigationg this issue, I understood what needed to be done.

I discovered that I had to reinstall WinLiveOC on two systems for the "hub" of the circle to find them (even though both had previous working installs) in order for the circle to become complete and regain local home network functionality.

That was the "good news".

The "Bad news".  My XP system with 2 Gig of RAM and an Athalon (64) 3000 processor has come to a screeching halt. Simply clicking on an e-mail in my Outlook 2007 inbox causes a 90 second delay. Windows Taskmanager reports that my processor is working at 100% capacity. 

When I stopped something called WINSS.exe, my system returned to normal and the processor returned to 18% - 28% capacity with the very occassional spike to 95%+.  However, for some reason WINSS.exe restarts itself (without a reboot) and when it does... my system grinds to a halt again.

My questions:  In WINSS part of OneCare?  If so, should it be eating up that much processor band width?  If so, is this an known issue?  If so, are there work arounds short of removing WinLiveOC?

Thanks

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• winnss is indeed part of OneCare and the problem you faced (and still see on occasion with the spikes) is due to a bug being investigated right now by the OneCare team. If the problem persists for you, please contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Thank you for the very quick (and honest) reply.  I feel better already about my purchase.  I will monitor the situation on the forum and if I think I can contribute to resolving the issue, I'll jump in.

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:44 PM
  • You're welcome, John. I remain ever hopeful that it can be resolved quickly. If you've perused the forums about this, the one fix that appears to have worked is to uninstall or disable the Network Peer to Peer service, but it doesn't work for everyone with the problem.

-steve

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Over the weekend I installed One Care on 2 other PCs in the house, making one of them the hub.  Shortly thereafter, I noticed that my laptop (the first one on which I'd installed OC) was doing continuous 2 to 3 MB/s hard drive accesses.  It was so intense that Outlook blinked every second or so.  The only way I could stop it was to kill the winss.exe process.  Had to kill it a few times, and killing it shuts down OC, but it's the only way to get back control of this PC.

I tried uninstalling OC and all was well (other than no protection).  Reinstalled OC and all was well.  Re-subscribed (which presumably put me back into our 3-computer OC network, and bingo my computer is going whack-whack-whack again.

Definitely a bug.  I hope this is fixed soon - for the moment, I'm back to Norton.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 12:34 AM
  • Just tried turning off the web/network access and re-starting OneCare - and again still have the continuous hard-drive access until I kill winss.exe.  This is *not* a defrag or scan, by the way. 

Thom

Thursday, January 3, 2008 12:42 AM
  •  Thom7 wrote:

Just tried turning off the web/network access and re-starting OneCare - and again still have the continuous hard-drive access until I kill winss.exe.  This is *not* a defrag or scan, by the way. 

Thom

See if this thread resolves the problem for you - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:01 AM
  • Thanks, Steve,

My problem isn't CPU usage, it's continuous hard drive access.  Brrr-Wrrr-Brrr-Wrrr 2/3/2/3/2/3/ MB/s alternating bits, with the CPU jumping from 20 to 70% usage, hitting 70 for a moment as winss.exe hits 40 or so, then the long (loud) hard drive access beginning as winss.exe drops back down to 3 percent or so. I thought maybe it was doing a scan or defrag, but manually did both and both took less than a day, and let this go on for 48 hours solid and it never stopped. 

The solution I have is to uninstall OneCare, then reboot, then install the 90-day test version, and NOT sign in/log in.  When I do this, all is well.  As soon as I register the version of OneCare it all goes to heck again.  (I've done this twice now today - same results both time.

So I have 15 days left on this 90 day trial (that I oddly first downloaded 2 weeks ago - go figure) to hope MS figures out the problem and updates/patches the program before then. 

Thom

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Thom, that is strange. Actually, both things are strange - the drive access and the 15 days left on a trial first installed 2 weeks ago. I've forwarded this thread on for review and comment. Hopefully, we'll get some ideas.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Thanks, Steve.  The newly installed non-registered trial version ran a full virus scan and tune up this morning and it just took about an hour and worked fine.  Computer is running great.  But as soon as I register the program, the computer goes nuts.  Might it be something that's being brought in, like IM or whatever that goes beyond just OneCare that Microsoft is trying to attach to my "membership"?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:49 PM
  • The only thing that changes when you activate is that it updates your subscription data - there's nothing else installed. That's why I find this so odd.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Here's a new twist.  My home desktop PC, which I designated as the Hub, now shows two "Tom" (the name of my laptop) PCs (in addition to my wife's desktop) as being on it and members or whatever the word is, so apparently every time I activate this laptop it communicates with that desktop.  Maybe that has something to do with it? 

Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:41 AM
  • No, that's actually a side effect of the Circle. Each time you activate a PC on your Circle, in this case the same one twice, it gets added to the Hub. You'll note that the last time the hub heard from the PC is not recent, but around the time you activated before the reinstall.

You can remove both entries from the hub with no ill effect by expanding the entries on the hub and clicking remove this PC. If you do this to an activated PC that *is* still running OneCare that PC will become unsubscribed and will need to be reinstalled if you didn't mean to "remove" the PC from your subscription.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:12 AM
  • Interesting.  Just logged this laptop on, and immediately winss.exe began it's thing, with my google PC monitor showing 1/4/2/4/2/4/1/4/2/4/3/4/ Mb/s disc accesses.  I went to the desktop and deleted this laptop from the circle, and immediately the winss.exe dropped off the active process list and the accesses stopped.  Does this help?

Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:56 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply. Since winss is the core component of OneCare, it would not surprise me that it would start accessing the drive if there was something else conflicting on that PC, but the fact that it *only* happens when the PC is activated to your subscription is what seems so strange. When you removed it from the Circle, the PC was sent an unsubscribe message and should probably have set it to red status or maybe back in trial mode. It would still be running, but why it stops whatever winss is doing at that point remains the mystery.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:38 AM
  • I've now replicated this in several different ways and always with the same results.  Using a different ISP, from work using an ISP behind a huge firewall, etc.  As soon as I "register" OneCare on my laptop, it begins the whack-whack-whack continuous hard-drive access. 

You still have no ideas or solutions?  I'd hate to go back to Norton, which was so slow and clunky.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  Thom7 wrote:

I've now replicated this in several different ways and always with the same results.  Using a different ISP, from work using an ISP behind a huge firewall, etc.  As soon as I "register" OneCare on my laptop, it begins the whack-whack-whack continuous hard-drive access. 

You still have no ideas or solutions?  I'd hate to go back to Norton, which was so slow and clunky.

Please create a support log - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2 - and send it to wloc@live.com and include the URL to this thread in the message body and "OneCare Hard Drive Access Excessive only when Activated" in the subject line. It remains a mystery to me, but perhaps the OneCare forensics team can uncover something in the logs.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Steve,

Just for the record, I am having exactly the same issue with continuous hard drive access and CPU usage from the winss.exe process on my Windows XP machine.  I have just started looking here on the forums for a solution and have also begun the process you suggest to contact Tech Support, but it appears from reading the posts here that a fix is unlikely and elusive.

Curt

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:54 PM
  •  CamryCurt wrote:

Steve,

Just for the record, I am having exactly the same issue with continuous hard drive access and CPU usage from the winss.exe process on my Windows XP machine.  I have just started looking here on the forums for a solution and have also begun the process you suggest to contact Tech Support, but it appears from reading the posts here that a fix is unlikely and elusive.

Curt

Check this thread for the winss CPU resource issue - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:58 PM
  • i am  having similar probem. I run an HPCompaq XP machine in the den with an HDMI output to wide screen, also an HP Tablet PC and a homemade AMD 2400+ machine in the office. The Wide screen was what I happened to be running when the upgrade came in, and that's the machine I have the problem on. Winss.exe runs 100% CPU utilizatoin. :-(

ON a brighter note, several months ago, while setting up the HDMI machine, I lost the ability to print and share files across the home wireless network. Yet, when the new Live One Care install came up, three days later I got a window with an option to install a printer live one care had "Found New Hardware" and it gave me access to the printer on my office computer, which i haven't been able to print to over the network, for some reason, which is another post to another forum.

Aw, ***, I might have to go get a Mac after all......

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:04 AM
  • Glad to read about the printer sharing... Did you follow the link above for the winss fix?

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:05 AM
  • I just got back from a long trip and sent off the data file.  Checked the other thread mentioned in this one, and checked my windows stuff, and I don't have peer-to-peer installed/turned on, so that 100% cpu usage problem is apparently unrelated to this one of the hard drive going nuts.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Too bad that the PNRP wasn't involved in yours. How about the Network Location Awareness Service? Is it started and running, set to automatic?

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Is that the Internet Device Discovery and Control Client?  It's the only thing clicked as installed when I go to control panel->Windows->Networking Services.

I'm reluctant to turn off anything, because when I turned off games a year or so ago and then, months later, tried to reinstall FreeCell, the computer demanded I insert a Windows Disk.  I don't recall receiving one when I bought this Toshiba laptop (new), or else lost it long ago, so I have no games anymore.  I'm worried about turning off networking stuff and then discovering that I can no longer access the network.  Should I unclick and uninstall "Internet Device Discovery and Control Client"?

Or is there another way to access this?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:37 AM
  • getting back to the problem this morning, and just found some threads i need to read. I disabled peer to peer as suggested, no help.

It's scary that, upon bootup, i get a 'green one' in the task bar, then an bubble alert that 'one care is turned off' and a red one. I get two red notices in the one care 'actions to take' window - turn on one care, and 'go to the help center' because one care was not able to turn on virus monitoring. Click 'turn on' and a window says "WLOC cannot change your virus and spyware protection settings at this time. Please try again later or restart the computer. If the problem persists, contact support.' 

Well, that's just another of those MS "Helicopter' messages, won't fool with that right now....You know the one about the guys lost in a helicopter?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:57 PM
  •  Thom7 wrote:

Is that the Internet Device Discovery and Control Client?  It's the only thing clicked as installed when I go to control panel->Windows->Networking Services.

I'm reluctant to turn off anything, because when I turned off games a year or so ago and then, months later, tried to reinstall FreeCell, the computer demanded I insert a Windows Disk.  I don't recall receiving one when I bought this Toshiba laptop (new), or else lost it long ago, so I have no games anymore.  I'm worried about turning off networking stuff and then discovering that I can no longer access the network.  Should I unclick and uninstall "Internet Device Discovery and Control Client"?

Start

Run

Type services.msc in the run box and hit enter.

You will see a list of all services.

That's where you want to disable the two peer services

And you'll also find Network Location Awareness service, which should be started and automatic startup.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  Coalsmith wrote:

getting back to the problem this morning, and just found some threads i need to read. I disabled peer to peer as suggested, no help.

It's scary that, upon bootup, i get a 'green one' in the task bar, then an bubble alert that 'one care is turned off' and a red one. I get two red notices in the one care 'actions to take' window - turn on one care, and 'go to the help center' because one care was not able to turn on virus monitoring. Click 'turn on' and a window says "WLOC cannot change your virus and spyware protection settings at this time. Please try again later or restart the computer. If the problem persists, contact support.' 

Well, that's just another of those MS "Helicopter' messages, won't fool with that right now....You know the one about the guys lost in a helicopter?

While you were in services, disabling PNRP and the other peer service, did you also make sure that Terminal Services was started and set to automatic?

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:46 PM
  •  Thom7 wrote:

Is that the Internet Device Discovery and Control Client?  It's the only thing clicked as installed when I go to control panel->Windows->Networking Services.

Your OneCareSupportData.zip file showed the PNRP service as active and running, Thom7, which has been known to cause the exact problem you've been having. Please follow the instructions in this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2 - to disable the two services described and verify the the Network Location Awareness Service is running.

Let me know what happens upon activation after doing this.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:53 PM