DNG support RRS feed

All replies

• Install Adobe DNG codec, but you have better to stitch with Tiff files...
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 10:14 PM
  • Adobe DNG codec?? Why not built-in? DNG is a well-documented open standard.

And what makes you say I better use TIFF? What makes TIFF intrisically better to build panoramas with?

I would actually much rather see RAW support (which is dead-easy to implement when using a library like dcraw) since that is what my files will be. And I believe most RAW libraries already support DNG.

• Edited by thany1 Monday, November 2, 2015 12:09 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 12:08 PM
  • Adding RAW/DNG support to an image stitching program doesn't make sense.  These aren't pure bitmap image formats, they're sensor outputs and metadata from which many possible images could be reconstructed.  If you just want to stitch images, batch convert them to bitmap formats like TIFF or PNG.
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:24 AM
  • Batch converting them to TIFF doesn't make sense.

DNG/RAW makes perfect sense to me. I always stitch BEFORE doing any edits, so I have no reason to generate TIFFs first.

Besides, why do you care if it makes sense or not? It's not anything that'll be in your way. YOU can still generate TIFFs all you want and stick to a process that suits YOUR needs, but everyone is different, and everyone's needs are different. Just saying.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:43 AM
  • Absolutely needs DNG support, a vendor-neutral raw format.  It makes no sense for ICE supporting  CR2/CRW and not supporting DNG.  Converting files or making a duplicate set just to use ICE makes no sense. -- I  already convert CR2 or other raw to DNG on import.  Require a convert from DNG to TIFF to use ICE yet support CR2 directly? Nuts.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:27 PM
  • ICE already supports CR2 and CRW, for two, that are raw formats, hence adding a vendor neutral DNG is totally in line.  It makes eminent sense to allow import in the format that you have, not one you can covert your photos into.  Else, remove all but bitmap formats (dumb).
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:54 PM
  • I don't particularly care one way or the other, I'm just pointing out to you that internally DNG support would be equivalent to you converting to TIFF first, but would probably be less flexible.  Its not like you can actually stitch the RAW data.  Its going to be converted to bitmap one way or the other, might as well do it correctly yourself.  

That said, if you just want a quick way to import them, you should be able to grab a DNG codec from adobe and use that:

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5495

I just tested now and it works nicely.  Be aware though that this is internally just creating bitmaps of your images and processing them.  
    • Edited by saratoga3 Sunday, November 15, 2015 12:10 AM
    Saturday, November 14, 2015 11:47 PM
  • I'm just saying it's an extra manual step that can be avoided fairly easily by having it built into the program.

I'm also saying that any self-respecting photography tool must support RAW and DNG formats. Regardless of any concerns or remarks. Especially a program where it makes sense to process (stitch) the photos first, and then do further editing in, say, Lightroom.

Monday, November 16, 2015 1:18 AM