Online Photo Backup ignores external disks? RRS feed

• Question

• I've rebuild my computer and I wanted to keep my photo's on an external harddisks (connected through USB) but at the same time I also wanted to use the online photo backup feature to safeguard those pictures. You can never be too cautious, because I already lost 5 years worth of photo's once and I can tell you my wife wasn't happy about that. So I am being extra cautious this time around. Does the OneCare utility ignore harddisks connected through USB? Please advise..

Paul

Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:29 AM

Answers

• OneCare backup doesn't backup from External disks, so I would assume that the Online photo backup won't use that as a source, either. Why not store the photos on the internal disk and keep a copy on the external disk? Then photo backup will back them up, too. Note that once the beta is over, the server will be reset and you'll need to subscribe to online photo backup after reinstalling the 2.0 production software and activating it.

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:19 PM

All replies

• OneCare backup doesn't backup from External disks, so I would assume that the Online photo backup won't use that as a source, either. Why not store the photos on the internal disk and keep a copy on the external disk? Then photo backup will back them up, too. Note that once the beta is over, the server will be reset and you'll need to subscribe to online photo backup after reinstalling the 2.0 production software and activating it.

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:19 PM
  •  

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to chime in. I think OneCare needs to pay attention to USB/FireWire based Hard Drives because some people use External non eSata drives to Redirect Folders.

I redirect some of my personal folders in Vista so I can withstand a reinstall of the OS without loosing data. It would be nice for the Backup solution to grab at a minimum these files.

• Documents
    • Downloads
    • Music
    • Pictures
    • Videos

With these folders now on an external USB 2.0 Based drive I am unable to use OneCare or the Online PhotoBackup to store any of that data. I would use eSATA but I have used all the Sata ports on the system already.

Just my $.02

.rev askthemct.com

Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:16 PM