ethernet controller on HP desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the WHS on a HP Pavillion Desktop, but the Ethernet card is missing its driver; where could I get a proper driver? (The HP driver section seems not to have the right drivers; when I install on the WHS machine, the installer says that I have the wrong hardware)
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you know who makes the chipset and the exact chipset it is you could check the chipset manufacturers website and see if they have the drivers.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:53 AM
  • well, I would have if I knew how to find out;
    from the device manager, the only thing I seem to learn are the hardware ID's.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:43 AM
  • you said HP doesn't have the right drivers. Have you tried to install the XP driver? That one works in most of the cases.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:47 AM
  • can you provide the product code of the machine - this will list the systemboard on hp'spart surfer and hopefully i should be able to tell you the chipset.

Pete

Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:49 AM
  • The only information I can find on the machine is this code at the back: CZC6020ZX5
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:04 AM
  • is there no other sticker on the pc? try right-click on "my computer" you should find some more information there
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:11 AM
  •  Guy Lenaerts wrote:
    The only information I can find on the machine is this code at the back: CZC6020ZX5

that will be your serial number - unfortunately without the product code (should be below the serial starting p/n then 3 letters, 3 numbers 2 more letters a # and 3 more letters probably ABU) even using HP's CSN i am unable to bring up any information about your pc.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:18 AM
  • OK!
    I found this on a sticker on top of the machine: HPdx5150MT base model.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:58 AM
  • Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:12 AM
  • Ok, thanks, now going to download and see if I can install the drivers.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:14 AM
  • OK; drivers are working. Now I have internet access; but I can't activate the software - cannot connect to activation servers.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:44 AM
  •  Guy Lenaerts wrote:
    OK; drivers are working. Now I have internet access; but I can't activate the software - cannot connect to activation servers.

try again later or try to activate by phone

Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:54 AM
  • glad you are up and running now, hopefully you can get activated soon and get running on the testing now.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:02 PM
  • I am sort of up and running.
    I notice that I can only connect other computers that are behind the same router. Can I not have computers connected to other routers, but also in my home, connect to WHS? Or else, how should I configure all the routers in my house; as access points? (but how..)

Next issue would be to connect remotely and how to connect my MacBook to the WHS shared folders.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:53 PM
  • You can connect other computers for instance through the web access (type http://WHS.IP.adress.here/ in a webbrowser), but it doesn't support backup as far as I know.

The setting to configure routers as access points is called "WDS" or "Repeater", not all routers support it!

To connect remotely or with your MacBook works both through the web access. If you're out of the range of your LAN/WLAN you have to type the IP adress of the router, not your WHS IP adress you have at home.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:34 PM
  • I can accept a limited access when outside via a web interface, but I need to know how to configure the home network, where there are several wireless NAT routers;
    The access inside the house should be complete and transparent to the users. A wireless router has a limited range and in larger houses, you will end up with several of them; out of the box, these routers work, but configuring them is not a simple task indeed. Can WHS not handle this more proactively? (and 'force' itself through the home network?

BTW: can I get the router's IP from the WHS server?

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:07 AM
  • To access your WHS remotely you first need to forward the ports (in your router configuration (might be tricky with some routers)) described here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1210963&SiteID=50

then go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ to get the IP adress of your router.

you can access your homeserver remotely throught http://your.router.IP.adress/ or https://your.router.IP.adress/ (both work)

Monday, March 5, 2007 3:51 PM
  • I'll have to postpone the router fiddling till the weekend. I have to learn what 'port forwarding' is first..

Adding a printer should be straightforward, but I can't do it.
    I have a HP Photosmart 7900 attached to the WHS. I can see and print on it from an XP machine, but not from a Vista machine. Know problem?
    Monday, March 5, 2007 9:57 PM
  • port forwarding is simply redirecting all requests from the internet to your router to the WHS.

On some routers (on my for instance: Speedtouch wireless (don't know the exact name)) you can just choose "assign public IP adress to Network device", so you don't have to forward the ports manually.

To find the printer in Vista: Start-->Network-->Add a printer-->Add a network, wireless, bluetooth printer-->...

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:29 PM