What's a POP3 and SMTP? RRS feed

• Question

• jemcrystal@yahoo.com

Please, I don't know what POP means or why pc keeps asking me to fill it out to use mail!

I'm not a computer geek.  I float around just fine because about every program I run into will check my computer itself for the answeres.  Except for one.  Mail.  Not that free mail I get through yahoo.  Like, I want to mail someone a video so I click the option to mail and then it's askin me about some POP3 and SMTP.  Like I should know what that means???

Please help.  What does it want me to put in those blanks when I send mail???

Here is the yick-yack it threw at me when I did it wrong:

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

Oh, and some moderator booted me and gave me this petty answere that tells me nothing.  If I knew how to configure my Outlook Express I'd know how to do what I'm asking:

"A moderator has deleted the following post you made to the forums. Here are the reasons given for the deletion by Ken Warren Sorry, but this is the Windows Home Server forum; it's for discussion of the new server operating system from Microsoft. You should ask your ISP how to configure your mail software (Outlook Express, if nothing else)."

What in the @#%! is an ISP???  Gawd, didn't I just say I'm not a computer geek?!?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:36 AM

All replies

• I found this really cool website that this very charitable guy wrote up for just this problem.  Basically, the answere is your internet service.  Who ever gives you internet service, go to their web page and ask them what your incoming and outgoing mail account number is (your POP3 and SMTP).  For me the code was simple, it was just the name of my internet server plus some letters.  And it was the same code coming and going; for POP3 and SMTP.

Wink

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:45 PM