CWA Default Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For Outlook Web Access (Exchange server) I can set the Default Domain for user logon in IIS. This means a user can logon using just their username, rather than "domain\username". It also means I can set the default domain to be a Kerberos Realm (which my domain is configured to authenticate with).

For Communicator Web Access it's not clear to me how I can set the default domain/realm. Is this possible?
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• If it's possible it would involve editing logon.aspx.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  

Hi Simon,

The problem should not exist whether you use a default domain. If the user (or the admin) put's the communicator.domain.com in the intranet zone (for internal use) then you will not be asked for credentials.

If you want to use CWA external, i would suggest using isa server to publish the internal site.

I will post the details of this configuration to my blog at http://dwjack.spaces.live.com/ but give me some days to put it online. important is that you use kerberos for the ISA part to  use spn "computername" so you'll need 2 certificates (if the url is different then the computername)

Hope this had helped a bit ;-)

regards

Jack

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:40 PM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response. What I didn't explain in my original post (sorry) is that the communicator web access is for external users, so I use forms authentication. That choice is to ensure all clients can use it. I'm afraid I don't use ISA server.

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Hey Simon,

Hmm Yes I understand now what you mean.

I tried indeed all other possibilities: changed default domain for integrated and basic authentication in the virtual dirs to the domain name, didn't work.

Looked at the logon.aspx  in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Communicator Web Access\Server\cwa\Client directory but i'm not so good with Asp, need to invest time in it some day Smile

But seems to me that the input boxes for username and pw could be filled or at submit time. i've tried adding value="domainname\" to the input box but that did not work.

Hope that anyone else can help, i will ask some developers at my company if they understand this.

but may i suggest looking at isa 2006 ? i mean it can make your life easier by publishing owa and cwa, you can specify default domain in isa and it's much safer than deploying owa and cwa directly to the internet.

regards

Jack

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed response. I should give my answer for future searchers.

I did not find a way to accomplish what I wanted with forms authentication. Instead I used basic authentication (with SSL) and manually set the default realm to what I needed.

For user ease-of-use, I use a landing page for several web services and give people a link to "logon to Communicator here". This, for me, is better than just giving them a link to something that prompts for a username and password.

Thanks, Jack, for all your time and effort. I appreciate it despite not using your suggestions in the end!

Monday, December 1, 2008 9:10 PM