Executing queries in CRM. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

How can i execute a query in the CRM 4.0.

My requirement is,

I've an entity named "Projects" having a field named "serial no"(int)- say,1234 .this filed is readonly.not the primary key.

When a user save a new record,i want to generate a new serial no for the newly saved record which should be = (current maximum value of serial no ) +1.

So can i execute a query to find the current maximum value of the serial no.so that i could increment it by 1 and can set to the new serial no.

Waiting for a reply.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:50 AM
  • I agreed with Joel.  You can achieve this by implementing the PostCreate plugin. You can take a loo at this site for information on how to implement this: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/13/auto-numbers-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm.aspx

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Ok.I'll check this link.But my actual requirement is to execute query at the LOAD EVENT of the opportunity entity-details page.

my query is " SELECT MAX(new_code) FROM dbo.OpportunityExtensionBase where new_year="1"

new_code is an integer field..

If this method is not fair......Any other alternatives??

Waiting for reply.Urgent please....

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:32 AM
  • If this is what you want to do, you should create a custom web service or webform, accessing the database and return the result in an xml form (e.g. <max_value>23</max_value>)

in your load_event, write javascript to access the webform or webservice and get the max_value return value.  For detail on how to write javascript for this, go to http://www.captain.at/howto-ajax-form-post-get.php.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:09 PM
  • can i execute this query in a Plugin?

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:41 AM
  •  

Yes you can.

Run your query within the plugin, then update the projects entity with the returned ID.

I suggest you register the plugin to run as a Synchronous process to ensure that no other Project is allocated the same ID.

Hope that Helps,

Catherine Eibner

Microsoft Certified Business Management Solutions Professional - Applications for Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    http://blog.cybner.com.au

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I've created a plugin to execute that query.But it didnt work!

I've added a step to this plugin as pre-create-opportunity entity.Help me plz.

My plugin code is,

Private Const strConn = "Data Source=TEST911;Initial Catalog=zenitinformatica_MSCRM;Integrated Security=True"

Public Function getIDmax(ByVal yearval As Integer) As Integer

Dim i As Integer

Dim _DTtable As New DataTable

Dim oConn As New SqlClient.SqlConnection(strConn)

oConn.Open()

Dim oCommand As New SqlClient.SqlCommand("SELECT MAX(new_code) FROM dbo.OpportunityExtensionBase WHERE new_year='" + yearval.ToString.Trim + "'", oConn)

i = oCommand.ExecuteScalar()

oConn.Close()

Return i

End Function

-----------------------------------------------------

Public Sub Execute(ByVal context As Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.IPluginExecutionContext) Implements Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.IPlugin.Execute

Dim newcode As Integer = 1000000

Dim maxid As Integer

Dim selectedIndex As Integer

If context.PrimaryEntityName = EntityName.opportunity.ToString() Then

If context.InputParameters.Properties.Contains(ParameterName.Target) AndAlso TypeOf context.InputParameters.Properties(ParameterName.Target) Is DynamicEntity Then

Dim entity As DynamicEntity = TryCast(context.InputParameters.Properties(ParameterName.Target), DynamicEntity)

If entity.Properties.Contains("new_year") Then

selectedIndex = DirectCast(entity.Properties("new_year"), Picklist).Value

maxid = getIDmax(selectedIndex)

If maxid = 0 Then

newcode = 1000000

Else

newcode = maxid + 1

End If

'Here i want to save the newly generated code

entity.Properties("new_code") = newcode

Dim service As ICrmService = context.CreateCrmService(True)

service.Create(entity)

End If

End If

End If

End Sub
    Monday, July 14, 2008 10:39 AM