LAN Streaming from WHS2011 to Xbox 360 via Media Center on Windows 7 PC - permissions/setup question RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server 2011 on a HP ProLiant MicroServer. I have moved all my music, pictures and videos to the server. I have made the Libraries on the server to point to D:\ServerFolders\Pictures, Music, Videos.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop semi-permanently connected to the home network. I have the WHS2011 box and this PC on HomeGroup. The only user on this PC has Libraries pointing to \\WHSBOX\Pictures, Music and Video.

I want to be able to run the Media Center app from my Xbox 360 to browse pictures and videos and listen to music. I connected the Xbox Media Center to the Windows 7 PC. It is not showing anything under the Libraries.

What permissions should I have set up (including "Media Sharing" on the PC as well as on WHS box) in order to get this thing going? It shouldn't be this hard :-(

I tried several options like blocking the Xbox on the WHS2011 under Media Streaming and unblocking, doing the same on my PC, blocking the PC on WHS2011 streaming, etc. None of these made any sense to me, so I felt like I was shooting in the dark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a sidenote, I did make this work at some point (including videos), and then for absolutely no reason, I lost the ability. It seemed to have lost access to the folders. I could see thumbnails and when I clicked on the thumbnails from the Xbox, it would say "cannot display". I broke the Media Center connection and restarted, and now I cannot seem to be able to get it going :-(         

Also, related: Every now and then, when I try to use the Xbox to view the Pics/Vids, I notice that the Library locations on my Win7 PC get changed to the default locations (C:\Users and Public Folders). What gives?

Sunday, December 25, 2011 3:11 AM

All replies

• Not sure what role your W7 machine is playing in this - try using the inbuilt DLNA streaming capabilities of WHS2011 to stream directly to your XBox - Homegroup not required.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:07 AM
  • I was trying to do the same thing with a new Xbox and was not able to locate the Media Center on the Xbox. What I did do was to "Play Videos, Play Music" and the the server folders showed up there and it worked great.

Because Microsoft took out Media Center out of WHS 2011 that seems to be the best way I have found to watch videos on the new Xbox, but it has only been a couple of days since I got th Xbox, may find a better way with more testing.

Play Videos > \\SERVER\Videos

Play Music > \\SERVER\Music

Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Not sure what role your W7 machine is playing in this - try using the inbuilt DLNA streaming capabilities of WHS2011 to stream directly to your XBox - Homegroup not required.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

I want to use Media Center because that's the only way I can see pics by tags. For DLNA via Xbox I have to traverse the folder structure and it is painful.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I was trying to do the same thing with a new Xbox and was not able to locate the Media Center on the Xbox. What I did do was to "Play Videos, Play Music" and the the server folders showed up there and it worked great.

Because Microsoft took out Media Center out of WHS 2011 that seems to be the best way I have found to watch videos on the new Xbox, but it has only been a couple of days since I got th Xbox, may find a better way with more testing.

Play Videos > \\SERVER\Videos

Play Music > \\SERVER\Music

Yes, but we take *so many* pics and vids nowadays, it is hard to traverse the various folders. In WLPG, I have tediously created Tags for certain events or trips and it is way better to see slideshows by those tags. These tags, sadly, are not exposed via DLNA. Hence, the need to go Xbox Media Center > W7 PC > WHS2011. :-(
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Garry Joerger Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RPMM Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:23 AM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Follow this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-Windows-Media-Center-Extender

This link only tells me how to set up the Xbox as a Media Center Extender, which I have done already. The Xbox is able to connect to the PC fine (within Media Center). I am afraid it has to do with permissions, but I don't know what exactly to change.
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:23 AM
  • You need to give the extender access to the shares. This can be accomplished with the following app on the Win 7 box to setup the proper login script for the extender. You will need to specify a username and password for the shares on the server with at least read permissions if i remember correctly.

http://tobias-tobin.blogspot.com/2008/08/giving-media-center-extender-access-to.html

This is what I used on WHS v1 and was going to use on 2011 once I get finished setting it up.

Hope that helps!

Peter

Monday, January 2, 2012 12:46 AM
  • I have the exact setup you are trying to do. What you need to do is go in to Media Center on your laptop and point the libraries to the folders on your WHS box. This library setup is independent of the setup up of the simple libraries accessed on your desktop. I use xbox extenders thru my entire home for all my entertainment needs. I was paying the cable company close to $80 a month in STB rentals now I pay for a single $2 Cable Card. So the X Box media extender has many uses. If you need any help with that setup let me know.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:47 AM
  • I have the exact setup you are trying to do. What you need to do is go in to Media Center on your laptop and point the libraries to the folders on your WHS box. This library setup is independent of the setup up of the simple libraries accessed on your desktop. I use xbox extenders thru my entire home for all my entertainment needs. I was paying the cable company close to $80 a month in STB rentals now I pay for a single $2 Cable Card. So the X Box media extender has many uses. If you need any help with that setup let me know.

In fact I do have the Libraries on my W7 PC pointed to the WHS shares. Do you mean I need to point to the specific folders rather than the server shares?
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:21 AM
  • You need to give the extender access to the shares. This can be accomplished with the following app on the Win 7 box to setup the proper login script for the extender. You will need to specify a username and password for the shares on the server with at least read permissions if i remember correctly.

http://tobias-tobin.blogspot.com/2008/08/giving-media-center-extender-access-to.html

This is what I used on WHS v1 and was going to use on 2011 once I get finished setting it up.

Hope that helps!

Peter

It would be nice to know what exactly that program does, and if it is possible to run that command manually. I would not like to run a program just to set permissions. Reasonable?
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:23 AM
  • In media center go to tasks, settings, Media libraries from there set the folders to monitor. From what I know the library folders on the desktop that you see on the side toolbar of say like my computer are independent of the library folders inside of media center. Also if that does not work you should add the Mc name of your media center PC to the permissions list. the computer name "WHS-Server-PC" would be "Mcx1-WHS-Server-PC". Hope that helps.

Friday, January 6, 2012 3:05 AM
  • It adds the proper scripts that setup the mappings correctly. It's an app you run once to create the script then when the extender logs into the pc it will get the proper mapping with the proper permissions if setup correctly.
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:08 PM
  • I too am having this issue.  I solved it by using a second PC to run Media Center, but that negates the purpose of my WHS as a media server.  As of now, it is simply acting as a file server.

When viewing my computers via my Xbox, I see my Home Server listed twice.  One shows more movies that the other, and I am assuming that one is the Media Center "version" of the server.  Yet why do only a portion of my movies show up?  When I use Media Center, the Xbox can see and play everything perfectly.

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:58 AM