Problems Configuring WHS for Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, I searched the forums already.  You're help will be GREATLY appreciated.  Big Smile

Here is what I have:

I have Windstream DSL, connected to a SpeedStream 4200 router, that is connected to my Netgear WGR614 wireless router.  I have changed the port forwarding on my Netgear to forward the ports 80,443,4125 to my computer 192.168.1.2

I am getting two errors in the Windoes Home Server Console - Settings - Remote Access - Router - Details: "Verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections, and, Verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections"

Oh, and one last thing:  I have checked on Shields Up!! and it shows ALL my ports as Stealth.  How do I change it to open 80,443,and 4125?

do I need to have a static IP adress?  Should I go to DynamicDNS and get one?

Ivan
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:41 PM

All replies

• Similar problem here too... Qwest / MSN DSL service, Arescom NetDSL 800 modem (MSN version), Linksys WRT54G router with all three ports forworded correctly... Still won't pass the tests.  Also tried the Zoom X5 modem / router to no avail. I did find an interesting how to hack your NetDSL 800 here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9446  The guy is right... these modems are out of warranty now so who cares... So I'm at a point where I am pretty sure the problem is in the modem and no where else... or perhaps msn is blocking these ports and Qwest is not... If I hack the modem and still have problems then its good bye Qwest and  MSN. Anyone else out there been able to run WHS on Qwest / MSN? The Qwest tech folks have been very helpful overall and they claim they don't block these ports and they actually encourage users to run things like home servers... I guess its in their best $$ interest after all.

I bought WHS mainly for the remote access ability... its been pretty disappointing so far!  It would be VERY helpful if Microsoft put out a list of ISP's, modems and routers or combos that actually will work with WHS. This would eliminate ALOT of people's frustration right off the bat. Its certainly in their best interest to do this and help make WHS more sucessful and touble free.

Mark

Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:45 PM
  • ok... now I am able to use my Dynamic DNS website, but not my *.homeserver.com to access the server.  I guess thats ok, cause I want to eventually use a domain name to access the server.

If anyone knows whats going on, please write in.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:40 AM