Adding Users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I found one little problem Why does WHS Vail the latest build. When adding a user it does not create the the user name in the user directory. Example you create user named Fred. when you check the user directory its not there and you give them rights but still does not appear. What went wrong ?.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:55 PM

All replies

• Nic, I just added my subdivision's newsletter name as a new user, and it shows up just fine. To double check, I added another person I completely trust also. He's showing up too.

When you log in, you're taken to the Home icon. From there, click on Users>Add a user account>A window pops up (add a user account): fill in the blanks>Set the Shared Folder Access and you should be good to go. Allow access to the Dashboard is not checked by default, but if I'm letting someone I trust in, I will give them that access.

Once you've successfully added the new user account, you will be told so. Just follow the instructions from there (connect the new user's computer to the server) if the computer is different than the one you're working from.

I just added

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Nicodemus 57" wrote in message news:d09b9ab9-0fbb-4fb0-9a4b-ed67a3fb255b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello All

I found one little problem Why does WHS Vail the latest build. When adding a user it does not create the the user name in the user directory. Example you create user named Fred. when you check the user directory its not there and you give them rights but still does not appear. What went wrong ?.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:37 PM
  • This is on another thread a long time ago that I can’t find.  Basically 90% of customers complained they never used the user folders in WHS v1.  So we no longer create them by default.  You can use the storage tab to create a folder for each user as you see fit.

Thanks,
       Sean

"Nancy Ward" wrote in message news:0af07318-f5cb-4c39-beab-fd528582515e...

Nic, I just added my subdivision's newsletter name as a new user, and it shows up just fine. To double check, I added another person I completely trust also. He's showing up too.

When you log in, you're taken to the Home icon. From there, click on Users>Add a user account>A window pops up (add a user account): fill in the blanks>Set the Shared Folder Access and you should be good to go. Allow access to the Dashboard is not checked by default, but if I'm letting someone I trust in, I will give them that access.

Once you've successfully added the new user account, you will be told so. Just follow the instructions from there (connect the new user's computer to the server) if the computer is different than the one you're working from.

I just added

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Nicodemus 57" wrote in message news:d09b9ab9-0fbb-4fb0-9a4b-ed67a3fb255b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello All

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Was this a survey or Focus Group?  There are eight users on my WHS and all eight including myself use the User Folders.  I will submit a suggestion to reinstate the automatic creation of user folders by default.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust
    This is on another thread a long time ago that I can�??t find.  Basically 90% of customers complained they never used the user folders in WHS v1.  So we no longer create them by default.  You can use the storage tab to create a folder for each user as you see fit.

Thanks,
       Sean

Nic, I just added my subdivision's newsletter name as a new user, and it shows up just fine. To double check, I added another person I completely trust also. He's showing up too.

I just added

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Hello All

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:33 AM
  • And I will vote it up, BullDawg!

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"BullDawg" wrote in message news:f2fd9775-d1e5-4a5a-8aab-cf9af82012d0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Was this a survey or Focus Group?  There are eight users on my WHS and all eight including myself use the User Folders.  I will submit a suggestion to reinstate the automatic creation of user folders by default.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

<Sean Daniel - MSFT> wrote in message news:03fe82f7-ebc2-4276-80c9-35a270688b36@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

This is on another thread a long time ago that I can�??t find.  Basically 90% of customers complained they never used the user folders in WHS v1. So we no longer create them by default.  You can use the storage tab to create a folder for each user as you see fit.

Thanks,
       Sean

I just added

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Hello All

-- Nancy Ward

-- BullDawg

Nancy Ward
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:08 AM
  • When I searched feedback, I found 7 hits.  6 were closed as "by design."  The one by pugsly0014 is still open, so I upvoted it.  It was sitting at 37 up, 3 down, when I voted. 

Sean stated, "Basically 90% of customers complained they never used the user folders in WHS v1. So we no longer create them by default."  The voting on Connect shows otherwise, 93% want this functionality back. 

Wonder which the developers will listen to, the "Unfocused Group" or the "Connect Group?"

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

And I will vote it up, BullDawg!

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"BullDawg" wrote in message news:f2fd9775-d1e5-4a5a-8aab-cf9af82012d0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Was this a survey or Focus Group?  There are eight users on my WHS and all eight including myself use the User Folders.  I will submit a suggestion to reinstate the automatic creation of user folders by default.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

<Sean Daniel - MSFT> wrote in message news:03fe82f7-ebc2-4276-80c9-35a270688b36@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

This is on another thread a long time ago that I can�??t find.  Basically 90% of customers complained they never used the user folders in WHS v1. So we no longer create them by default.  You can use the storage tab to create a folder for each user as you see fit.

Thanks,
       Sean

I just added

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Hello All

-- Nancy Ward

-- BullDawg

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Friday, August 27, 2010 10:27 AM
  • When I searched feedback, I found 7 hits.  6 were closed as "by design."  The one by pugsly0014 is still open, so I upvoted it.  It was sitting at 37 up, 3 down, when I voted. 

Sean stated, "Basically 90% of customers complained they never used the user folders in WHS v1. So we no longer create them by default."  The voting on Connect shows otherwise, 93% want this functionality back. 

Wonder which the developers will listen to, the "Unfocused Group" or the "Connect Group?"

You've got to take votes on Connect with a 25 lb block of salt, Bulldawg; people who vote on Connect vote suggestions up almost 100% though they probably represent less than 1% of all Windows Home Server users. Probably I'm one of very few participants who goes through Connect regularly voting down suggestions I explicitly don't want to see in the product. So votes are seriously skewed in favor of posted suggestions. (Note that I don't vote down suggestions that I don't care about, or that I just "don't see a need for". I ignore those.)

In this case, though, I think there should be functionality (a checkbox, maybe?) to allow the creation of functionality identical to Windows Home Server V1. I don't think it should be there by default, since most users I've talked to don't use it. I have an active suggestion to that effect here. There are some issues here; I believe joining the server to a homegroup automatically exposes a Users share which lives on C:, and that would have to be defeated somehow.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 27, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Ken,

Agreed, I could go for checkboxes similar to v1 when one is setting up users for remote access and shared folder access.  Just add one for "create shared folder for user" along with the process.   I just checked the User Folders on my WHS.  There is approximately 143 GB's stored by 6 of 8 users.  The other 2 show empty at the moment.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

You've got to take votes on Connect with a 25 lb block of salt, Bulldawg; people who vote on Connect vote suggestions up almost 100% though they probably represent less than 1% of all Windows Home Server users. Probably I'm one of very few participants who goes through Connect regularly voting down suggestions I explicitly don't want to see in the product. So votes are seriously skewed in favor of posted suggestions. (Note that I don't vote down suggestions that I don't care about, or that I just "don't see a need for". I ignore those.)

In this case, though, I think there should be functionality (a checkbox, maybe?) to allow the creation of functionality identical to Windows Home Server V1. I don't think it should be there by default, since most users I've talked to don't use it. I have an active suggestion to that effect here. There are some issues here; I believe joining the server to a homegroup automatically exposes a Users share which lives on C:, and that would have to be defeated somehow.

BullDawg
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:53 AM
  • I'd rather have one checkbox in one place which enables a Users share identical to V1. I don't think the decision should be on a user by user basis; that's complexity that's not really needed. And individual shares for individual users would use up drive letters on Vail in a big hurry.

The problem with a single Users share is, as I said, the automatic Users share that lives on the C: drive. I believe it's created when you join a homegroup, but I need to test that. I just know it's there now. :)

Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:12 AM