WHS "crashes" after client backup RRS feed

• Question

• A thread was started in the PP3 Beta section but as this is now closed I'm wondering if anyone else is suffering the problem of the WHS server loosing network connectivity and WHS crashing after starting (and possibly completing) a client backup?

The original thread is:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whspowerpack3beta/thread/9eac2a40-dd9d-4892-b55e-05b234d7599d

After a client backs-up for me the network drops Ican't ping the machine inbound and I can't ping locally from the WHS server outbound. The local WHS Connector hangs and so do all applications. The only way to recover is a reboot
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:54 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us more about your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Hi - I'm having a similar problem whereby my WHS loses its network connection.  I can create the issue repeatedly by starting a manual backup of any of my client PC's running Win 7 Home Premium and Vista Business, it will get to >90% and sometimes even 100% completed and then like clockwork will crash and lose connection.  Also, the WHS will randomly lose network connection and the ability to connect to it via WHS Console.  I've updated all my NIC and PC drivers, all WHS updates have been installed, and I even bought a new dedicated and expensive switch to connect my entire LAN so as to isolate any issues with the 2Wire AT&T Uverse router.  My build is as follows:
    AMD Phenom 2 Quad Core 2.8 GHz
    MSI 785GM-E51 mATX
    4GB Viper DDR3 RAM
    4 - Hitachi 2TB SATA II drives
    Netgear GA311 PCI Gigabit NIC - used for redundancy and backup.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Andy, try disabling the NIC on the motherboard (probably a Realtek or Marvell chipset) and use the Netgear GA311 as your primary NIC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:20 AM