WHS on new HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have several things going on.

I purchased a new 500gb HDD for an older Gateway 32-bit desktop that I want to convert to a plain home server. I have a bootable XP diskette that I created when I bought the Gateway in 2001 which had XP installed. I was able to only get the XP to read about 137GB of the HDD. Does WHS install on top of XP or can I use WHS to install directly then do partitiions, etc. to get it to recognize more HDD space?

In relation and out of curiousity, would WHS be able to be installed without any OS already installed and if so, will it read hardware like my Belkin network card?

Saturday, May 7, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• WHS is the operating system.

When you install WHS, the installation process takes control of the hard drive.  It partitions it; the first 20GB partition is the C:, the second partition (about 445GB on a 500Gb drive) is the beginning of your D:\ - the data drive.

You will want a second hard drive for redundancy.  WHS lets you duplicate data at the folder level and puts a copy of a file within the duplicated folder on both drive (or two drives of a 3 + drive system.

Google “Microsoft Windows Home Server 32 Bit OEM” and you will find that you can buy a copy for about $100.

For more info  - Getting Started Guide

Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:08 AM