none
Please revert the change of Enter key behavior RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

since a few days hitting Enter produces an empty line before the next text is shown.

This behavior is irritating and counterproductive (even if one could use Shift+Enter) and looks not nice for the several cases, in which a line break is wanted and a new visual paragraph is given.

Instead a possibility to quote parts of text is still missing (or I didn't find it - i.e. using [quote] tag), the code block format is not usefull for batch or script, "My threads view" updates very late from time to time.

So why not fix the issues, which hurt, instead of destroying the functionality nobody complained about?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:38 AM

All replies

• Enter key behavior will be switched back. This should go live next week with a few other minor fixes.

Quoting, a pretty major revamp of the web tier is in the works, could you describe how you would like/expect a quote feature to work.

TIA

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Hi Rob,

thanks for the answer.

In relation to quota I would like to see one or more of the following functionality:

• within or before a quota block, allow to add a non quota block (its currently difficult or impossible - or I did not figure out how, to quote the entire posting and add the greeting on top or if you deleted one line too much at the end to write "unquoted" text)
    • support for syntax like [quota] quoted text here [/quota]
    • ability to paste a segment of text from another posting and mark it directly as quoted (or mark the text, in another posting, while the edit field is already open, click Quote and only the marked text should be inserted as quote at the end of the Edit window (or on the last position of the Edit cursor)

Olaf

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:54 PM
  • First, the original enter key behavior has been restored.

Second, thanks for the feedback.

In the current system, you can switch to html edit mode to work around/through issues with editing/deleting. You'd just have  to get a little dirty with the html syntax.

We'll take the other suggestions in to consideration. For the third option you outline, would opening a new "window" where you select the portion of text you want to quote and then after "ok" close the window and paste the selected text in a quote block work?

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Hi Rob,
    thanks for the revert :-)
    (Btw. seems not to be changed back for "New" messages.)

A "new window" should not be necessary, since we see the former postings while editing (although I could imagine the sense for multi page threads sometimes).
    Each message has already this little Quote icon in the upper right corner.
    In http://forum.home-server-blog.de/index.php the Quote icon changes its behavior. If text in another posting is marked, while the Edit window is open, only the marked selection will be quoted like this: [quote="OlafE"]Ein Workaround mit XP-Treibern kann, muss aber nicht funktionieren.[/quote]
    This also keeps the last cursor position for inserting the quote, even if this was not in the end of the written text in the Edit window.
    This comfort level I would like to experience here as well.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:42 PM