Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

• So I have windows defender running it seems to work good with WHS but every time I boot my computer it alerts me that something has changed.  I go and look and it's always the WHS program.  Is there a way you can change the WHS program or Defender so that it stops this annoying thing?
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:10 AM

Answers

• you should be allowed to add that file to the "Allowed" list when the popup comes up. alternatively open Windows Defender goto tools > Options > Advanced options, and you can manually exclude a file or folder from the scan...

Rex Geissinger

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:12 PM

All replies

• I have Windows Defender installed on my client PCs as well, and I don't see this behavior. So I think we will need more information:
    • Where is Windows Defender installed? WHS or a client PC?
    • If a client PC, what operating system?
    • What exactly is the message that you see?
    • Have you changed any of the Windows Defender notification options? Windows Defender has several options relating to what messages you will see. By default those options are set to only notify you if there is likely to be a problem.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:27 PM
  • you should be allowed to add that file to the "Allowed" list when the popup comes up. alternatively open Windows Defender goto tools > Options > Advanced options, and you can manually exclude a file or folder from the scan...

Rex Geissinger

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:12 PM
  • What you say is true, but I think that maybe uzzelien has a point also. For a family server, they shouldn't need to know (then again how many people who have Defender installed really know how - or what to do?) to perform this exception. It should just work when they set it up. I think too many software packages have gotten more complicated - it needs to be simple enough for a 50 year old (non-IT person) to install and leave it alone! I've worked with many friends (and I am not to include my wife's parents) that have a hard time understanding what to do next with their computer. Software just needs to be easier for users!
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:35 PM