WHS OEM Accounts for All drives but Server2003 doesn't RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just switched from Beta2 to OEM this week and it's been nothing but a nightmare. Not sure if its hardware related or software. Anyway one of the many problems I am having is that in the drive pool I have added all three HDs and in the server storage tab it's showing drive capacity as 852.03GB but in the actual console it's showing the drive space for D: as 445.76GB. The 445.76 is the exact amount of the main HD minus 20GB for the sys volume. It seems that the console is not adding the other two HD's to the D: drive capacity.

Am I looking at this correctly or will the demigrator take care of everything. I don't use duplication because I have a seperate backup server. The HD capacities are listed below. Under computer management all the drives are listed with correct sizes.

Main Drive: WD GP 500GB 3g Sata - Shows up as 465.75GB

Add1: Hitachi 160GB 3g Sata - Shown as 153.39GB

Add2: WD 250GB IDE - Shown as 232.88GB

I know there is a bug with calculating storage and not sure if it was fixed in the OEM version. Could that bug be the problem I am seeing here? Was also thinking that the problem could be with mixing HD types.

I'll post my nightmare upgrade story to my blog later this week after I get everything stablized. http://joshdelong.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• If I understand you correctly, Disk Management on the server desktop isn't reporting the correct amount of free space for D:\. If that's what you're experiencing, there's nothing to worry about. Mount points (the other disks you have in your system that WHS is managing) aren't counted into the capacity of the volume for display purposes.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:16 PM

All replies

• If I understand you correctly, Disk Management on the server desktop isn't reporting the correct amount of free space for D:\. If that's what you're experiencing, there's nothing to worry about. Mount points (the other disks you have in your system that WHS is managing) aren't counted into the capacity of the volume for display purposes.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:16 PM
  •  

Thanks for commenting. Just didn't want to have the same problem I had on my other server. Last time the console kept saying I was out of disk space but the server storage tab said I had about 90GB free. I'm trying to follow the same rules we use at work now that when storage gets down to 30% or less it's time to cleanup or get more storage space.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 12:57 AM
  • As Sam says, don't use the server internal disk management measurements. server 2003 doesn't recognise drives added to the pool and so cannot give the correct space available. This, I think, is mentioned in the documentation along with the comment re: not using any of the other server 2003 built in tools.

The other thing regarding space, is that it seems WHS reserves 20GB of every drive for some reason, so appears to recommend that extra space is required earlier than what the user might expect.

Colin

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:06 PM