allow disabling chkdsk runs RRS feed

Answers

• W-Mark, the chkdsk runs are not controlled through the registry. They are built into the server health checks that run periodically, and can't be disabled.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:33 AM

All replies

• Personally I think this would be a very bad idea as those chkdsk runs are what WHS uses to check the status of the drives it uses - so by disabling that you are effectively disabling part of WHS.

Also, any changes you make in the registry could if done incorrectly have other unwanted results.

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:28 PM
  • You're right. But as buyer of the OEM version I am now a "System Builder" and like to have the freedom to choose.

There are cases where you don't want to have chkdsk run.
      E.g., when your (primary) harddrive is about to fail and you intended to copy over the files without having the HDD be used extensively.
      Or, you are affected by the "chkdsk - indexing" infinite loop. Balancing seems never to stop. On bugs like this it would be really nice to have a temporary workaround to release the pressure from the developers to bring out a bugfix fast.

A compromise about this issue would be making the period (currently 6-12 hours) configurable - or simply creating this as task in the task manager.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:41 PM
  • But as a "System Builder" in this context you dont have the freedom to choose what integral parts of the OS can and cannot run.

There are changes to the way chkdsk runs in PP1 from memory so you may notice improvement.

Andrew

Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:14 AM
  • W-Mark, the chkdsk runs are not controlled through the registry. They are built into the server health checks that run periodically, and can't be disabled.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:33 AM
  • In PowerPack 1 they have been changed to run only once per day for each disk to check on its health

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:55 AM
  •  Is there any way to change the time or delay the time it automatically starts. Reason is it always starts doing the chkdsk at midnight, which is a problem because if I'm watching a movie at that time, well the movie starts to stutter badly and stop eventually. I have to wait 'till whs has finished with the chkdsk to continue watching my movie. This kind of defeat the purpose of a movie file server.

Thanks
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:45 AM
  • No. They are built into the periodic server health checks and can't be altered/disabled.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Ken, wouldn't changing the server maintenance period (in the Console) also move the health checks with it?
    If Claude were to change the start time to, say, 2am...
    -Chris [If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:37 PM
  • An interesting question. I haven't tried (I'm satisfied with the maintenance schedule as is) so "maybe". Or it may be separate from other maintenance activities. If you try, let us know how it works out. :) And realize, of course, that the only control you actually have is changing the backup schedule in any case...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:52 PM