Loosing Second RAID 5 in a two RAID 5 Hardware RAID Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• There are two other threads regarding disappearing RAID configs.  I will be the third having this issue.  One of the other issues was a software raid.  My current setup as follows

ASUS M4A89GTX Pro/USB3 with onboard hardward RAID with support for RAID 5
    I currently have two RAID 5 configured

- 3 500GB OS load with left over for storage pool
    - 3 2TB Drives divided up into two more additional pools due to limitation with Backups and VHD files - 1.6TB and 2.0TB.

All configured using the Hardware RAID chip from the Mother board listed.  I have lost the Second two RAIDs two times now.  The first time it was configured using Disk Manager and a single volume just 4TB.  As soon as I added a USB external disk it blew away the 4TB RAID 5 and left it in the not initialized state.  The second time I used the WHS console which cuts up the disk automatically into 16.TB and 2TB for my configuration.  The USB drive was already setup and detected this time.  I setup the external USB 3.0 dock 1TB drive as the backup disk and as soon as the wizard was complete it blow away both parittions again and left the RAID 5 Not initialized once again.  This is furstrating and worry some to say in the least regarding data integrity...

I have not touched the disk un initialized disk at this point hoping maybe it can be recoverd some how if anyone has some thoughts regarding this issue/bug it would greatly be appreciated.

-Murphy
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• I had similar issued from the last WHS update. My RAID 5 with 7.85TB with data got slit into two partitions; both were unallocated. I tried uninstall the updates, reinstalled the drivers and also reinstalled the OS, nothing work. I gave up and combined them together and reformatted the whole Raid. I lost a little bit of pictures and movies, but the majority of my files are back up in a NAS. Thanks god!

I feel like Mobo RAID is unreliable when there are changes to the OS. If you have valuable data (images) please back them up in an external drives as well.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:35 PM
  • These all feel like driver issues to me. Did you install the specific drivers for your RAID HBA, or rely on (possibly less functional) drivers built into the OS?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:56 AM
  • I have the exact same problem, with the exact same motherboard.
    I was wondering if you've made any head way in this matter.
    To further confuse things, My 4+1 Raid 5 8tb array(10 tb) goes into the "not initialized" state after i load more then 2.5tb onto the Single storage Partition and do a restart.
    I use Gpt for a total of 7.5 tb NTFS partition.
    Drivers, Bios, and controllers all up to date.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Nothing has changed drivers were loaded from the manufactour in this case ASUS.  It just did it again to me, over 2.5gb data was copied over.  After you do a reboot it goes back to not initialized.
    -Murphy
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:25 AM