locked
Dynamics CRM client for Outlook can no longer communicate with CRM server RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am preparing for a Dynamics CRM on-premise demo using the Outlook client.  The previous demo was done with MS CRM Online, so I installed the online client for Outlook.  But since I reinstalled the Outlook client on the demo client PC, although the installation of the client seems to go well, Outlook cannot connect to the server, and I keep getting the infamous "There is a problem communicating with Microsoft Dynamics CRM" message.

    Any ideas?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:52 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Ricardo,

    There is a version of the outlook crm client for crm only and another version for partner hosted/ on premises.

    Are you using the correct version?
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Alex,

    Thanks for your feedback.  I originally used the "on-premise only" client, which worked fine.  All ____ broke loose when I tried to install the "hosted / on-premise" version (which worked fine too), and then tried to revert to the "on-premise only".

    Ricardo.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Have you run the MSCRM outlook diagnostics tool
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:02 AM
    Moderator
  • I have just reinstalled the on-premise/online version.  Similar results.

    The Diagnostics Tool returns a couple of warnings: one that says something about recently using a different profile, and the other on about Outlook having disabled the Outlook add-in.  I click the Fix button, but second warning keeps coming back.  Interestingly, in the Outlook Trust Center, the add-in appears enabled.

    Ricardo.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:21 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:34 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, Rhett.  I'll definitely look into it.

    I forgot te mention that the first message that gets into the Event Viewer when starting the add-in is this:

    The Microsoft CRM Outlook add-in failed to initialize the user's language setting. Restart Microsoft Outlook and try again. HR=0x80004005. Context=. Function=CEnableState::Activate. Line=169.

    Thanks, Ricardo.

    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Well, after many trials and tribulations, I finally thought of looking at the obvious, and there it was:  I had third party applications sitting between Outlook and CRM, so I just did the following:

    1) Uninstall the CRM client for Outlook
    2) Uninstall all of the third party applications
    3) Reinstall the CRM client for Outlook
    4) Reinstall the third party applications

    Tadaaaa!

    Mr. T.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hi Ricardo

    Ho did u figured out that there was a 3. party appl. between CRM and Outlook?

    Im having the same difficulty on an customers clients, and dosent know which 3rd party appl. to look after. Im having the same event vieer errors and the same problems in Outlook as u had.

    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Hi Casper,

    It was easy in my situation, because I'm the one who had them installed ;-)

    But seriously, there are are various ways you can tell by looking at:

    1) Outlook Add-Ins (by far the safest way): From Outlook, hit Tools / Trust Center / Add-Ins, you will find them all in there

    2) Outlook toolbars

    3) Outlook pull-down menus

    4) Outllok add-ins

    5) Installed Windows programs

    I'm sure other forum members will find many other ways to help your users tell whether there are add-ins installed.

    Hope this helps,

    Ricardo Talbot
    Dynamics NAV/CRM Consultant
    IRISCO
    Quebec, Canada

     

    Friday, April 16, 2010 11:00 AM
  • I had the same problem.

    Solved with the Rollup 11 (rollup for CRM client).

    Friday, June 18, 2010 8:53 AM