PC grinds to a halt during validation RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to run the validation tool on-line, the internet explorer session seems to lock and then after a short time all other programs lock, even the three finger salute doesn't work. The validation gets as far as creating a zero length file in c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\windows genuine advantage\data\data.dat

I did a fresh install of WinXPpro SP2 recently, updated the bios version and installed more memory.

The automatic updates work OK but yesterday it downloaded the new genuine validation program that runs every time you logon and it also crashes the PC when it tries to install.

What can I do to isolate the problem?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:51 PM

Answers

• NeilQ:

There are a number of issues that could cause the problem you're running into. First of all, do you have any third-party Antivirus or Firewall software running? If so, try disabling it.

If these aren't an issue, I'm afraid the only remaining issue is a misbehaving driver on your system or failing hardware. Our control simply doesn't do enough to freeze a healthy system.

-tjackosn

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:50 PM

All replies

• NeilQ:

I'd like to help you sort this out. Could you run the following program?

WgaDiag2.exe

Once you've run the program, click "Copy to Clipboard" and paste the results in a reply to this thread. Thank you.

-tjackson

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:09 PM
  • I downloaded the program and then I double clicked it in explorer, selecting run from the security dialog (it showed a valid signature) locks up the system immediately. I then tried using a cmd window to execute the program and explorer froze with no response to left or right clicks however the cmd window came back to the prompt and the window stayed moveable and I could execute dir commands for a while until it also froze. Its odd because all of the Office 2003 suite works as well as the Microsoft games I have so it is not obvious what is wrong.

Any more hints as far as what to try?

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:16 PM
  • NeilQ:

There are a number of issues that could cause the problem you're running into. First of all, do you have any third-party Antivirus or Firewall software running? If so, try disabling it.

If these aren't an issue, I'm afraid the only remaining issue is a misbehaving driver on your system or failing hardware. Our control simply doesn't do enough to freeze a healthy system.

-tjackosn

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:50 PM
  • Re-loading motherboard drivers solved the problem.

Thanks for your support.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:00 PM
  • Good luck Neil! Thank you for troubleshooting with us.
    Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:39 PM
  • I have a similar problem and want to download drivers for my GA-K8NF-9 motherboard.  Any suggestions how I can tell if it is a Rev 1.x or Rev 2.x board?

I am assuming I need to download all of the drivers (ATA, Audio, Chitpset, LAN and USB 2.0) but not SATA RAID as I am not RAIDing my HDDs.

Also, I am running XP home, so i should avoid any drivers that are soley XP 64 bit

ps am looking at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2206

thanks, grant
    Saturday, May 6, 2006 7:12 AM
  • Hi - also, IE6 now won't access the internet (Firefox does).  I have set the LAN detection to automatic.  Have tried to download & install IE7beta with no success as it won't validate Windows.

If I had an active IE6 I could use the gigabyte automatic driver download which needs IE5+

grant
    Saturday, May 6, 2006 8:20 AM
  • Grant:

I would recommend contacting the hardware manufacturers (both motherboard and router). We can't really troubleshoot that here, as those are probably not Microsoft products.

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 7, 2006 6:38 AM