OneCare and Maxtor Shared Storage Drive... RRS feed

• Question

• I installed OneCare and then tried to access my Maxtor Share Storage Drive (part of a CAT-5/Wireless G home network).  I got a message box asking me if I wanted OneCare to allow access to the MSS.  I clicked 'yes'.

But that was all she wrote...

I was unable to access my MSS and eventually had to uninstall OneCare.

NOTE: The MSS runs just fine in XP.  But I get similar error messages when I try and access the MSS via my other laptop - running Vista.

Is there something going on with a layer of security in OneCare (and Vista?) that is preventing me from accessing my MSS?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Seattle Sun Devil

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:39 AM

Answers

• It would seem to me that the Maxtor device has software on your PC that needed network access. OneCare blocked it and asked you if you wanted to allow it. When you clicked yes, it was added to the allow list, but unless the software for the Maxtor device retried the access, it had already been blocked.

Also, in OneCare, if this device needed to use any special ports or protocols, they may have needed to be opened in the OneCare firewall advanced settings.

I can't speak for Vista and this device and recommend that you seek help from Maxtor for the Vista access issue. If you wish to use OneCare, I'd also check with Maxtor regarding OneCare. If they are unable to help with OneCare and their device, but can resolve your Vista side issue, and you want to use OneCare, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:35 AM

All replies

• It would seem to me that the Maxtor device has software on your PC that needed network access. OneCare blocked it and asked you if you wanted to allow it. When you clicked yes, it was added to the allow list, but unless the software for the Maxtor device retried the access, it had already been blocked.

Also, in OneCare, if this device needed to use any special ports or protocols, they may have needed to be opened in the OneCare firewall advanced settings.

I can't speak for Vista and this device and recommend that you seek help from Maxtor for the Vista access issue. If you wish to use OneCare, I'd also check with Maxtor regarding OneCare. If they are unable to help with OneCare and their device, but can resolve your Vista side issue, and you want to use OneCare, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:35 AM
  • I will contact Maxtor/Seagate and see what they say.

Thank You...

Seattle Sun Devil

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:50 PM