none
Synctoy - Access Denied Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed a Seagate External Drive to my wireless router and I have managed to map the drive to my Vista laptop and my Xp Desktop. I can manually cope data from both machines to the Seagate over my network and read and access the data. However when I try to use Synctoy to sync data from the Vista Laptop it runs OK but no data is copied to the Seagate and I get a message saying:

Error; Unknown error. Access is denied. (Exception form HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

Has anyone got any ideas?

Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:19 PM

All replies

• Check which account is doing the copying manually from the machines to the seagate and then check which account is copying from the synctoy job.  My guess, as with all these things, is that it is a permissions issue.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I have been having the same issue as well. It happened around the time I upgraded SyncToy about 6 months ago. I was using an older version, v1.4 I think, but was sick of that bug where it leaves empty folders on the right even after you delete everything on the left. So I upgraded to v2.1 because I heard it was supposed to resolve this problem. Also around the same time I had to blow away my USB drive connected to my LinkSys Cisco router and recreate the shares on it. All the security seems fine as I can manually copy files and folders over to the drive with no issues. However, now SyncToy only creates the folders on my USB (NAS) drive but fails to copy any files due to the same Access Denied HR Result error. I don't get it. Is it my upgrade to the newer SyncToy or my recreation of the shares that broke it, and if it truely was a security issue, which I don't believe it is, then why can I manually copy files and folders over with no issues????

I've seen many different posts on this problem going back to 2007 or later and no concrete solutions from Microsoft!!!!

Lucky for me I have a RAID mirror on my new PC so at least I have data redundancy there, but right now my USB drive connected to the router is useless unless I wan't to do a manual copy or robocopy or something. SyncToy used to be a pretty good solution for me and now it's just a piece of......

Okay my rant is over now!

Saturday, May 7, 2011 12:56 PM