File Conflicts While Trying to Recover Files... RRS feed

• Question

• Stats: HP Media Smart Server with Windows Home Server
    4 SATA Drives, 1x 500GB and 3x 1TB
    3 Shared Network drives and the default software main share of the server
    All updates and hardware were good

Ok, There's a couple things that happened to lead upto my problem... :(

1) I went on my shared network drive to open a folder, but instead of hitting ENTER my finger slipped and I hit the DELETE key (they are way too close to each other!)

2) As I noticed the files started to be deleted and not opening, I hit cancel as fast as I could, but about 10 files were deleted for good.

3) I looked everywhere for them, but they were gone so I did what any good IT guy would do, right...?

4) I shutdown my home server, removed each drive in order, connected it to my Vista PC, via USB to SATA connection and used the software Active@Undelete to recover the deleted files from the hard drives.

5) While I did find other files that were deleted weeks ago, I was unable to find any other the recent files I just deleted on any of the drives. Side Note: I did have an error on 1 of the TB HD's about a MTF boot error, or something, but the software got around it after awhile.

6) I gave up on the much needed files, so I reconnected my HP home server and put all drives in the same slots and booted the thing up again.

7) The server took almost 30 minutes for it to let me in on the Server Console and When I did I was in for a bunch of errors. It wanted me to do a Backup repair and Database cleanup, so I did. Also after doing this I remove 2 of 2 plugins I had. (Macafee Anti-virus since it was out-of-date and I have AV on all my PC's, and a video plugin I never used)

8) After the repair and stuff I rebooted the server and started getting "File Conflict" errors. And not just a few like every shared drive has them and tons of files seemed effected. A few of the error messages are: "There are file conflicts" "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" "File conflicts for XXXX shared folder" XXXX=all the names of all my shared folders!

9) I've tried several reboots, file scans, repairs and cleanup's, turning on/off folder duplication, and even tried deleting some of the file it says it could read if I didn't really need those files or folders, but the errors keep coming.

10) Under the "Shared Folders" area in the server console it says "Failing (Check Health)" next to every folder. In the "Server Storage" area it shows all disks as "Healthy" and no errors and over 2.5TB of free space!

11) And the last issue, the wordt now, is that 50% or more of my files across my shared network drives show as fine, but when I go to open them i get every error from "file does not exist" to "this program cannot open the file" even photos have a problem opening now.

Please help, I have no idea what went wrong, all from my stupid finger slipping on the delete button! Thank you in advance for anyone that can help!

-Hordelover
    Friday, May 1, 2009 12:49 AM

Answers

1) I went on my shared network drive to open a folder, but instead of hitting ENTER my finger slipped and I hit the DELETE key (they are way too close to each other!)

2) As I noticed the files started to be deleted and not opening, I hit cancel as fast as I could, but about 10 files were deleted for good.

3) I looked everywhere for them, but they were gone so I did what any good IT guy would do, right...?

4) I shutdown my home server, removed each drive in order, connected it to my Vista PC, via USB to SATA connection and used the software Active@Undelete to recover the deleted files from the hard drives.

5) While I did find other files that were deleted weeks ago, I was unable to find any other the recent files I just deleted on any of the drives. Side Note: I did have an error on 1 of the TB HD's about a MTF boot error, or something, but the software got around it after awhile.

6) I gave up on the much needed files, so I reconnected my HP home server and put all drives in the same slots and booted the thing up again.

7) The server took almost 30 minutes for it to let me in on the Server Console and When I did I was in for a bunch of errors. It wanted me to do a Backup repair and Database cleanup, so I did. Also after doing this I remove 2 of 2 plugins I had. (Macafee Anti-virus since it was out-of-date and I have AV on all my PC's, and a video plugin I never used)

8) After the repair and stuff I rebooted the server and started getting "File Conflict" errors. And not just a few like every shared drive has them and tons of files seemed effected. A few of the error messages are: "There are file conflicts" "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" "File conflicts for XXXX shared folder" XXXX=all the names of all my shared folders!

9) I've tried several reboots, file scans, repairs and cleanup's, turning on/off folder duplication, and even tried deleting some of the file it says it could read if I didn't really need those files or folders, but the errors keep coming.

10) Under the "Shared Folders" area in the server console it says "Failing (Check Health)" next to every folder. In the "Server Storage" area it shows all disks as "Healthy" and no errors and over 2.5TB of free space!

11) And the last issue, the wordt now, is that 50% or more of my files across my shared network drives show as fine, but when I go to open them i get every error from "file does not exist" to "this program cannot open the file" even photos have a problem opening now.

Please help, I have no idea what went wrong, all from my stupid finger slipping on the delete button! Thank you in advance for anyone that can help!

-Hordelover

Normally I would suggest a Server Recovery, however in your case, considering all of the issues you're having, I think you should pull each drive and copy whatever data you can to another location (other than your server hard drives), then do a Factory Reset (which formats everything).  You can find the data on each drive inside \DE\shares (DE is a hidden folder).
    Friday, May 1, 2009 4:31 AM
  • It sounds like when you attempted the file recovery, the software you used was unaware of how Windows Home Server uses the drives in the storage pool, so probably it at least contributed to your problem. However, if it reported a MFT error as well, you may have had a problem with a disk drive. Kariya21 has given you good advice: copy everything you can from the individual drives (your files are in the hidden folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares.etc.) and do a factory reset.

You may also want to review the technical briefs and other documentation available here . It will give you a better picture of where and how your server differs from a standard windows operating system,
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:32 PM

All replies

-Hordelover

Normally I would suggest a Server Recovery, however in your case, considering all of the issues you're having, I think you should pull each drive and copy whatever data you can to another location (other than your server hard drives), then do a Factory Reset (which formats everything).  You can find the data on each drive inside \DE\shares (DE is a hidden folder).
    Friday, May 1, 2009 4:31 AM
  • It sounds like when you attempted the file recovery, the software you used was unaware of how Windows Home Server uses the drives in the storage pool, so probably it at least contributed to your problem. However, if it reported a MFT error as well, you may have had a problem with a disk drive. Kariya21 has given you good advice: copy everything you can from the individual drives (your files are in the hidden folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares.etc.) and do a factory reset.

You may also want to review the technical briefs and other documentation available here . It will give you a better picture of where and how your server differs from a standard windows operating system,
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:32 PM