locked
Restore keeps dropping out RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have been trying to restore one of my computers from WHS but it keeps dropping out and I have to go back and restart it. It seems to pick up from where it left off but then stops again a bit further down the track.

    At one stage it was showing the full bar but says that it has 24692 days 0 hours and 13 minutes to finish restoring (it dropped out once here already).

    I have since restarted it again but it is still doing it.

    The computer is connected via a cable and I can hear the WHS system working but it just doesn't seem to keep going. I have all the updates installed. It appears when I restart that nothing has copied over to the computer.

    Any ideas on why this maybe?

    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

  • I would try the NIC drivers. It may be on the PC or on WHS itself. I'd try loading the PC NIC drivers first (get the latest drivers). If it drops again, I'd try some new drivers for the WHS or a separate card if it's built-in.

    Cruise

    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:19 PM
  • What do you mean drops out, and what do you do to restart it?

    If you mean you get a network error during restore, and you reboot with restore cd and start the whole process again try remoting to the WHS desktop and go to control panel add/remove programs and unistall KB961030 and try again.

    Let me know what happens.

    Still.....
    Grey
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:52 PM
    Moderator
  • Still Grey said:

    What do you mean drops out, and what do you do to restart it?

    If you mean you get a network error during restore, and you reboot with restore cd and start the whole process again try remoting to the WHS desktop and go to control panel add/remove programs and unistall KB961030 and try again.

    Let me know what happens.

    Still.....


    Grey


    What I mean is that it comes up with an network error  (lost connection or something) and I press back and it takes me back to the start again. I don't reboot the system.

    I have since done a complete re-install of Vista as I couldn't get it to restore.
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Morphjk Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:23 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Thanks.  I will look again, but when I get the network error, all I get is cancel?  But mine is after an hour of "restoring".

    I know I have a back option when it does not find the server(s)... That always fails :(

    oh well.... Best of luck

    Still....
    Grey
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:31 AM
    Moderator
  • Mine seems to be going through the motions and takes ages before giving me the error. I have no idea why it is doing it.

    I just hope I can work this out.

    So your having issues as well? 
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Morphjk said:

    Mine seems to be going through the motions and takes ages before giving me the error. I have no idea why it is doing it.

    I just hope I can work this out.

    So your having issues as well? 


    As Cruiseman said, that is usually an indication of a bad NIC, driver or network cable.  Have you tried swapping out the hardware or looking for updated drivers?
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:49 AM
    Moderator

  • kariya21 said:

    Morphjk said:

    Mine seems to be going through the motions and takes ages before giving me the error. I have no idea why it is doing it.

    I just hope I can work this out.

    So your having issues as well? 


    As Cruiseman said, that is usually an indication of a bad NIC, driver or network cable.  Have you tried swapping out the hardware or looking for updated drivers?


    No I haven't. I'll download the latest drivers for both. I don't have any other hardware to swap it with. Now that I have reset it up I might have to wait before I can test it again as I don't want to have to re-install (again) if it doesn't work.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:02 AM
  • If you are trying to do a restore with the latest updates and it fails, I would suggest connecting your desktop directly to your server.  Some nics like HP auto sense and you do not need a crossover cable.  A Homebuilt may need one.  Also your server must not be set to a static ip this way.

    And or unistall 961030

    Still....
    Grey
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 3:32 AM
    Moderator
  • I'm wondering if RAM could be causing part of the issue as I just found that 1 of my 1gb sticks is faulty. Lots of errors on it. So I am running 1gb now instead of 2gb. Will return the other one for replacement
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Bad RAM will result in problems such as corrupted software/drivers in memory.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:28 PM
    Moderator
  • I recently had a similar issue, and by persistence...many, many tries...finally was able to complete the restore.  I was seeing several timeouts and 'unknown error' messages.

    Once it was complete, I found out that in the L2 switch properties of my router, my computer auto negotiated a 10 Mbps connection rather than a 1000.  I forced it to renegotiate and it went back to 1000. 

    I had already finished the restore, so I cannot say for sure, but I am willing to bet that was the issue.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:15 PM