Microsoft Office Professional suddenly started coming up "not genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased Microsoft Office Professional (along with Windows XP Professional) pre-installed on a laptop pruchased from Dell several years ago.  It has always run and updated fine until recently.  A few months ago. we had the compter repaired following a hard drive failure.  The software continurted to run fine following the repair, which included reilnstallation of software to a new hard drive by the repair shop.  Recently, however, upon opening an Office product, such as Word, we get a notification that our software is not genuine (and that docunents will be so marked).  We have run the online validation and gotten the followingresult:
    • "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

• Problem: The product key used to install Office has been identified by Microsoft as a key that was issued to a large, corporate customer."  ..."

How can this situation be corrected?

Monday, September 28, 2009 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hello KennisonDF,

Without posting a Diagnostic Report, I can't know exactly what the problem is, but given the description of the issue, I would say your situation is not unusual.  The most common way for a Non-Genuine copy of Office (or Windows) to be found on a computer that came with a Genuine copy of Office (or Windows) pre-installed, is what we call the "Repair Shop Scenario".

A customer had their computer worked on (by a repair person, a friend or that smart kid down the street) and in the course of fixing the PC, they had to reinstall Office.  Instead of contacting the customer (you), to get the proper Product Key, the repair person downloaded a Non-Genuine one from the internet. (maybe due to laziness or maybe they just didn't know what they were doing was wrong)

In this case, you probably do have a Genuine copy of Office, you just need to uninstall the Non-genuine one and reinstall the software using the proper (Genuine) Product Key that came with the Office that came with your computer.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 28, 2009 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:04 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hello KennisonDF,

Without posting a Diagnostic Report, I can't know exactly what the problem is, but given the description of the issue, I would say your situation is not unusual.  The most common way for a Non-Genuine copy of Office (or Windows) to be found on a computer that came with a Genuine copy of Office (or Windows) pre-installed, is what we call the "Repair Shop Scenario".

A customer had their computer worked on (by a repair person, a friend or that smart kid down the street) and in the course of fixing the PC, they had to reinstall Office.  Instead of contacting the customer (you), to get the proper Product Key, the repair person downloaded a Non-Genuine one from the internet. (maybe due to laziness or maybe they just didn't know what they were doing was wrong)

In this case, you probably do have a Genuine copy of Office, you just need to uninstall the Non-genuine one and reinstall the software using the proper (Genuine) Product Key that came with the Office that came with your computer.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 28, 2009 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:04 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Hello Darin MS:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I believe the repair shop used their own copy of the software to reinstall both XP Professional and Office Professional, and I understood that they were licensed to do so.  The Office Professional software initially updated (several years of updates) and continued to update and run wlithout the "not genuine" message for months after the repair.  The XP Professional is still updatilng and running without any indications of being "not genuine".  Only the Office Professional is coming up 'not genuine".

I assume that the process you described would require re-installation and running several years of updates.  In any case, while I may recover our original Product Key, I cannot locate the re-installation CD for Office Professional that came with our computer. 

In any case, is their any way to change the product key without re-installation and re-running several years of updates?

Thank
    KennisonDF,

Monday, September 28, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hello KennisonDF,

Please see this MS KB article for info regarding changing Office product keys:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895456
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:47 PM