none
Why WHS and not Windows 7 Professional? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I currently have a machine I'm using as a dual purpose Server + HTPC.  Here's my set up:

GIGABYTE H55M-S2H motherboard

Intel Core i3-540

Integrated graphics (H55)

4GB RAM, 2 1.5TB drives + 300M drive for OS

Running WHS and XBMC for the HTPC part

It runs fine as is, the play back for HD movies is a bit choppy at times.  I'd like to get a discrete video card (considering AMD Radeon HD5450) to get the video smoother, but good luck finding drivers for WHS for this card or any other relatively modern graphics card.  I know WHS is supposed to be a headless system but ...

In any case, I've seen other threads where folks have Windows 7 running then have WHS running with VMWare Server 2.  My question is, why bother with WHS at all?  Wouldn't Windows 7 Professional essentially handle everything that you'd get from WHS anyway?  Windows 7 support Remote Desktop and you could back up your other machines to the Windows 7 Professional machine.  Am I missing something?  Should I just upgrade my server to Windows 7 and scrap WHS entirely?  I'm having trouble thinking of what I'd be missing (other than the web page I guess) in completely getting rid of WHS.

Friday, January 28, 2011 10:42 PM