Backup fails on ClientVssProblem, System.String RRS feed

• Question

• I have new Asus notebook (4w) and WHS 2011.  Backup runs fine on another client PC. Backups on notebook did not work when it had Win 7 and now has win 8.  Backup hangs at 1% then fails. Event viewer shows

Backup job 42 on SERVER did not succeed.  Reason: ClientVssProblem, System.String[]

I have checked the VSS service running and tried backup with VSS stopped started and automwaratic.

I have reinstalled connector software run chkdsk, disabled other software in startup.

I have run dcomcnfg and tried to change permissions

"From the Access Permissions dialog, add the Network Service account with Local Access allowed."
     but do not know and cannot add network service account.

Everything updated.

I can run everything else on server except the backup.

Any ideas?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:40 AM

Answers

• Does the laptop have UEFI/GPT boot? If so, WHS2011 will not back it up.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Musabasjo Friday, November 16, 2012 7:44 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:29 PM

All replies

• Does the laptop have UEFI/GPT boot? If so, WHS2011 will not back it up.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Musabasjo Friday, November 16, 2012 7:44 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Yes it does but had to look up what it meant.  Thanks.
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:45 AM
  • I have the same problem with a brand new Dell XPS 8500, with Win 8. How do you tell if you have UEFI/GPT boot? And, if you do, how can you get WHS2011 to back up your system?
    Friday, December 7, 2012 3:46 AM
  • I have the same problem with a brand new Dell XPS 8500, with Win 8. How do you tell if you have UEFI/GPT boot? And, if you do, how can you get WHS2011 to back up your system?

Look at Disk Management and see if the boot disk is GPT. If it is, then you are out of luck until Microsoft issues a fix. You should still be able to back up data. See here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/release-notes-2.aspx

Friday, December 7, 2012 12:06 PM
  • I see "EFI System Partition" in Disk Management, so based on your comments I take "EFI" to be the problem. I just put up a new WHS2011 server and the PC I want to backup is my main home computer. Pretty sad that it's the only one that I can't backup.

Thanks for your help. 

Friday, December 7, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Microsoft has said they will fix the problem so there might be hope for the future. The alternative is Server 2012 Essentials at $US500!!

See here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserveressentials/thread/47949ed4-fe00-49c7-8967-578c11ab5616

There is an update rollup due next week, but at the moment there is no detail of what it contains.

Friday, December 7, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem backing up my Win7 PC to a Western Digital Dx4000 sentinel. It backs up one of my PCs that has NTFS partition but does not back up the one with EFI partition.

• Proposed as answer by kzmdinc Friday, December 14, 2012 4:12 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Same here.

In my case Windows 8 to Western Digital DX4000 Sentinel. All other clients back up fine, except this one. Yes the disk partition is marked as GPT. It is an SSD.

At least I know what is is now and I thank you for pointing it out after tearing my hair out trying everything I've found on the net.

I WOULD like to express my rage at this though. GPT is SUPPOSED to be the way to go going forward, and kudos to Asus for adopting it in my Zenbook, but really? Microsoft? Advertising how great Windows Storage Server is yet the connector cannot handle these disks. HOW CRAP IS THAT???

The reason I bought the Sentinel was mainly to back up my Zenbook, and although admittedly the rest of my family is backing up fine, I am not. This is crazy.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Has been solved now with this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Luc.

• Proposed as answer by Adam D. _ Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Good news! Just one question. There are 3 files in this hotfix. I've installed the one with highest number and the others seem not to be required anymore but could it be clear in the hotfix description?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:04 AM
  • I applied the fix with the highest number also, rebooted everything and still can't back up my Win 8 PC. I'm getting the error "Insufficient storage available for backup"...

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this?

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Not sure if your problem is similar to mine but after installing the hotfix I had to remove all client computers (by uninstalling the client software) and adding them back (with the same names) by installing the client software agan. After that all backups are running fine also the UEFI based laptop. So for me the issue is solved!
    • Proposed as answer by Adam D. _ Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:46 PM
  • This hotfix solved the problem for me. Glad to finally have my WHS backups again

Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:57 PM
  • However, as Luc below pointed out, there's a hotfix for it:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:58 PM