Best practice for developing with CRM 2013 (On Premises) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.  I'm just starting to work with CRM, and I have some questions that hopefully will be simple for the seasoned developers.  It's mostly just some best practice or general how-to questions for the group.

- When creating a new Visual Studio CRM Project I can connect to my CRM Instance and create new WebResources which deploy to the CRM instance just fine, but how can I pull all the existing items that are in the CRM Solution into the Visual Studio CRM project?  Or do I need to export the solution to a ZIP, expand it with SolutionPackager.exe, then copy these into my Visual Studio project to get it into sync?

- When multiple developers are working on changes is it best to keep everything in a Visual Studio project as I mentioned above, or is it better for everyone to have their own instance of CRM to code with so they can Export/Import solutions as needed then these solutions be manually merged before moving into a common Test/QA environment?

- When modifying the submenu on a CRM form is it suggested to use Ribbon Workbench or is it better/easier to just export the solution, expand it with SolutionPackager.exe,  modify ribbondiff and anything else required for the change, package it back up, then reimport to CRM?  I've heard from some that Ribbon Workbench has some limitations, but being green I wasn't sure what those limitations might be or if it'd be best to just manually make these changes.  Or is thre any way to have a copy of ribbondiff in Visual Studio and deploy this without having to repackage the Solution and Import in the ZIP?

I think that's it for now :)  Thanks for any advise or suggestions.  I really want to start learning the in's and out's of CRM and how all the pieces fit together.  Also can someone direct me to some documentation or books that might give more insight on developing for CRM 2013 or 2015 (moving to this soon)?

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:47 PM

All replies

• For multiple developers working together, you can use a source control, TFS is a good option.

Ribbon Workbench works fine, though modifying the ribbondiff will give you a clear understanding of various tags and their use.

Karishma

Friday, February 13, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Hi Sam

Also interested in best practice around this area - especially recommended development routes, unit testing, continuous integration etc - it would be great if you posted here if you find any good articles etc. At the moment we tend to just push changes onto a live system as and when appropriate and I'd prefer to move away from that...

Thanks

Stuart

Friday, February 13, 2015 9:46 AM