Microsoft Office Won't send emails since I instaled One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64bit on an HP m9250f with an Intel Core2 Quad with 4MB of Memory.  Everything ran fine until I installed WindowsOneCare. Now AOL doesn't run (I am going to reinstall) and my Outlook  2007 will not send out email.  I receive fine but outgoing email gets an error message,

"Task 'Linda@AmazingGrass.com - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:08 AM

Answers

• Do you have other security software on the PC that may not have been fully removed before you installed OneCare?

If you open OneCare and click Change Settings, disable the firewall temporarily on the Firewall tab, does the problem go away?

It would appear that something is blocking Outlook and that should not be OneCare's firewall. However, if you had Norton Internet Security installed previously, for example, it monkeys with your email to scan inbound and outbound emails (a useless endeavor, actually) and these settings may still be present in the stream.

You can contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you need to fully remove Norton/Symantec ( think that ships on HP computers these days), use their removal tool:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:31 PM

All replies

• Do you have other security software on the PC that may not have been fully removed before you installed OneCare?

If you open OneCare and click Change Settings, disable the firewall temporarily on the Firewall tab, does the problem go away?

It would appear that something is blocking Outlook and that should not be OneCare's firewall. However, if you had Norton Internet Security installed previously, for example, it monkeys with your email to scan inbound and outbound emails (a useless endeavor, actually) and these settings may still be present in the stream.

You can contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you need to fully remove Norton/Symantec ( think that ships on HP computers these days), use their removal tool:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:31 PM
  • I am using Windows Live Mail and after I installed windows live onecare its firewall is blocking my outgoing Mails

When i swict of the windows live onecare firewall the mails are not blocked
    Please Suggest something to correct this.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:36 AM
  • I was able to fix the outgoing email by changing the SMTP port from 25 to 366.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  Kusumsaini wrote:
    I am using Windows Live Mail and after I installed windows live onecare its firewall is blocking my outgoing Mails

When i swict of the windows live onecare firewall the mails are not blocked
    Please Suggest something to correct this.

OneCare does not block emails and Windows Live Mail is an allowed and recognized program. I suspect that you have other security software installed that has not been removed.

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  Hbcani wrote:

I was able to fix the outgoing email by changing the SMTP port from 25 to 366.

Thanks for the follow-up. It still sounds like something else was causing this problem as OneCare allows SMTP by default and does not block AOL software.

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:39 PM