WHS setup failed. The error code is 0x80070490 / work around RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think I found a solution or work around to the problem with the Silicone Image 3114 driver. I have been reading about this issue all over the net with no real help to get WHS to finish the install. After about 30 installs I was about to give up. Tinkering around I could format the second partition of the first drive with no problems at all. This told me that the SIL3114 driver was working, plus the OS installed. By chance I just removed the second partition from the first drive and left it unformated. Then I right clicked on the gray tab of the first drive (far left) and clicked convert to Dynamic. I followed the steps and then it asked to reboot. Once it rebotted WHS finaly completed the setup. The funny part is that my 120 day eval installed fine with the same driver so one would think that the new OEM OS would install the same. Anyways I'm glad to have fixed it and back up and running again.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:52 AM

All replies

• I think I found a solution or work around to the problem with the Silicone Image 3114 driver. I have been reading about this issue all over the net with no real help to get WHS to finish the install. After about 30 installs I was about to give up. Tinkering around I could format the second partition of the first drive with no problems at all. This told me that the SIL3114 driver was working, plus the OS installed. By chance I just removed the second partition from the first drive and left it unformated. Then I right clicked on the gray tab of the first drive (far left) and clicked convert to Dynamic. I followed the steps and then it asked to reboot. Once it rebotted WHS finaly completed the setup. The funny part is that my 120 day eval installed fine with the same driver so one would think that the new OEM OS would install the same. Anyways I'm glad to have fixed it and back up and running again.
    FYI, setting the hard drives to dynamic on WHS is unsupported and may very well cause issues.  See KB975952 for details.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:39 AM