Find original Windows 7 home premium key and key used to upgrade the laptop to Windows 7 professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just bought a used laptop off ebay with a geniune Windows 7 professional license.I checked for it's genuineness on Microsoft's site.

The laptop did not come with any COA license sticker.I contacted the seller and he told me that the laptop had Windows 7 Home Premium and he bought and upgraded the license  to Windows 7 Professional.

What I intend on doing is,is sell the Windows 7 professional upgrade key and downgrade my laptop back to Windows 7 Home Premium.Unfortunately,I do not have any of the keys although Windows 7 Professional is running fine on my laptop.I believe one needs the original Windows 7 Home premium license to downgrade their laptop.Here are my questions:

1)Is it legal for me to sell the Windows 7 professional key?Will this key upgrade any Windows OS (XP,Vista,Windows 7 Home basic,Windows 7 Home starter,etc) or will this key only upgrade Windows 7 home premium to Windows 7 Professional?

2)How can I find the

1.original Windows 7 Home premium key and the

2.Windows 7 professional key that was used to upgrade the laptop?

I used a software called Keyfinder Thing and it is showing my Microsoft Windows key to be XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.Thanks

Hemant
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Friday, July 1, 2011 6:49 PM deleted first 10 digits of Product key
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:34 AM

Answers

• "hemantofkanpur" wrote in message news:d0ec3a86-232a-45e5-88b9-9c45dfa8c050...

Hi,

I just bought a used laptop off ebay with a geniune Windows 7 professional license.I checked for it's genuineness on Microsoft's site.

The laptop did not come with any COA license sticker.I contacted the seller and he told me that the laptop had Windows 7 Home Premium and he bought and upgraded the license  to Windows 7 Professional.

What I intend on doing is,is sell the Windows 7 professional upgrade key and downgrade my laptop back to Windows 7 Home Premium.Unfortunately,I do not have any of the keys although Windows 7 Professional is running fine on my laptop.I believe one needs the original Windows 7 Home premium license to downgrade their laptop.Here are my questions:

1)Is it legal for me to sell the Windows 7 professional key?Will this key upgrade any Windows OS (XP,Vista,Windows 7 Home basic,Windows 7 Home starter,etc) or will this key only upgrade Windows 7 home premium to Windows 7 Professional?

2)How can I find the

I used a software called Keyfinder Thing and it is showing my Microsoft Windows key to be .....

Hemant

1) No - because you don't have the supporting documentation or disks.
    2) The Home Premium Key has two versions - one on the COA Sticker on the case of the machine, and one from thee OEM which is used when restoring from the Recovery disks/system, and is already present in the recovery mechanism.

The Professional Key in use currently you can find using Belarc Advisor - www.belarc.com - but you will not know whether it's a Full key, an Upgrade key, or an Anytime Upgrade key - all have different values, and applicability.
    If you post the MGADiag report for the current Pro system. Darin may be able to tell you what kind of Key it is.
    NOTE that you should delete the part of the Key in your original post, as it is not the part necessary, and in conjunction with the MGADiag report it gives he complete Key - NOT a good idea!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 1, 2011 10:57 AM

All replies

• "hemantofkanpur" wrote in message news:d0ec3a86-232a-45e5-88b9-9c45dfa8c050...

Hi,

2)How can I find the

I used a software called Keyfinder Thing and it is showing my Microsoft Windows key to be .....

Hemant

1) No - because you don't have the supporting documentation or disks.
    2) The Home Premium Key has two versions - one on the COA Sticker on the case of the machine, and one from thee OEM which is used when restoring from the Recovery disks/system, and is already present in the recovery mechanism.

The Professional Key in use currently you can find using Belarc Advisor - www.belarc.com - but you will not know whether it's a Full key, an Upgrade key, or an Anytime Upgrade key - all have different values, and applicability.
    If you post the MGADiag report for the current Pro system. Darin may be able to tell you what kind of Key it is.
    NOTE that you should delete the part of the Key in your original post, as it is not the part necessary, and in conjunction with the MGADiag report it gives he complete Key - NOT a good idea!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 1, 2011 10:57 AM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:03 PM