locked
off topic - svchost.exe 100% CPU Usage NEW prob solved RRS feed

  • General discussion

  •  

    Hello, everyone!

    This bugaboo has driven me MAD for the past 24 hours! I've tried EVERYTHING suggested on this forum and many others, but NOTHING worked, even dropping down to SP1.

     

    But at last I can report the MYSTERY is SOLVED!

     

    svchost will run a number of services on startup, including Windows Update.

     

    Because the PC ran so slowly, I could hardly do anything.

    First, I restarted in SAFE MODE and downloaded Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com

    Next, I put Process Explorer in my startup menu so it would fire off when I start in NORMAL mode.

    Then I ran Process Explorer in SAFE MODE and hovered my mouse over the svchost that had the most entries. I wrote down ALL the processes that were started by svchost

     

    Next, (still in SAFE MODE) I opened the Services applet (Control Panel > Admin tools > Services) and looked at the services that were marked Automatic and Started. I checked these off my list, since if these services were running in SAFE MODE, they probably aren't the culprit. Time to restart in NORMAL mode.

     

    Eventually Process Explorer would start up and there would be the svchost pegging the CPU. I hovered over it with my mouse and compared and added to my list again. RESTART IN SAFE MODE again. Go back to the Services applet and start changing services that match, from Automatic to Manual and restart in NORMAL mode again!

     

    I had to repeat this process serveral times until I was ready to disable the remaining services on the list that hadn't yet been checked off and set to Manual. The three I had left were:

    rasman (Remote Access)

    tapiserv (Telephony API)

    SENS (System Event Notification)

    I placed all three in DISABLE and restarted in NORMAL mode and TAA-DAA the CPU problem was GONE!

     

    In order to sort out which service was causing the prob, I restarted SENS first and watched the CPU Usage. No change.

    Then I tried to restart rasman and it would not start. Checking the Dependencies tab it was relying on TAPI to start up.

    My TAPI dll must have become corrupted!

     

    I'm reinstalling SP2 and then the rest of the critical downloads. I still have TAPI disabled.

    I'll be back as soon as I finish the updates.

    Saturday, November 3, 2007 10:35 PM

All replies

  • Well, boys and girls, after a few hours SP2 has been reinstalled, as has the rest of the critical SP2 updates.

     

    First thing I noticed was that my VPN no longer worked, so I started the New Connection Wizard and when I selected "Connect to the network at my workplace" and Next ALL the choices were grayed out!

     

    Hmmmmm.

     

    A little bit of history:

    My original tapisrv.dll had a version 5.1.2600.1715

    I tried to download another tapisrv.dll while still in SP1 mode but it downloaded V 5.1.2600.1106 (for SP1)

    That's when I elected to run SP2 update, etc.

     

    Now, I have the following tapisrv.dll on my machine:

    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\tapisrv.dll - Version 5.1.2600.2716 (this is the one that runs) Date 12/14/06
    • C::\WINDOWS]ServicePackFiles\i386\tapisrv.dll - Version 5.1.2600.2180
    • C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\16b2c96a0c4114dfdb4d3cc228a4f918\tapisrv.dll  - Version 5.1.2600.2180
    • C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\tapisrv.dll  - Version 5.1.2600.1715
    • C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB893756$\tapisrv.dll  - Version 5.1.2600.2180
    • C:\WINDOWS]$NtUninstallKB893750_0$\tapisrv.dll  - Version 5.1.2600.1106
    • C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB893756\SP2GDR\tapisrv.dll  - Version 5.1.2600.2716
    • C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB893756\SP2QFE\tapisrv.dll  - Version 5.1.2600.2716

    I changed the Telephony Service in the Services applet to Manual and started the service. No CPU Bounce! YAY!

    Now the New Connection Wizard allowed me to choose Dial-up connection or Virtual Private Network Connection.

    AND, my previous VPN connection was restored after an F5 (refresh) on the Network Connections applet.

     

    I'M BACK!!!

     

    MORAL OF THE STORY: svchost does a LOT of things (see Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services for a good explanation) . Don't be so quick to blame this or that update or service or download a whole lot of registry cleaners with the hope they will find the bugaboo. Sometimes a little (or a LOT) of homework and gum-shoe detective work will get the job done.

     

    I've gained a lot from this forum and many others on other Windows "disturbances", so I thought my dilemma and its solution was worth sharing, "giving back to the community" as it were. If this post helps ONE person, it was well worth the effort. Hat Tip to the Process Explorer developers! Without that tool I don't think I'd have ever found the nasty or the fix!

     

    DOWNLOAD Process Explorer v11.03 HERE!

     

    -FilthyRich in CLE OH

    Sunday, November 4, 2007 2:38 AM
  • Hi Rich

    Thanks for the feedback and information it is going to help a lot of people.

     

    chuck

    Sunday, November 4, 2007 4:46 PM