Conferencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Does the office communicator 2007 have built in teleconferencing, or must you have a third party provider.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:28 AM

Answers

• I an not sure I understand your question .  But Office Communicator can create conference calls by answering inbound calls and making outbound calls and conferencing them together.  You would need the Mediation server/IP Gateway connecting to the PSTN.

If you are thinking of the typical 3rd party conference call systems that allow callers to call a specific telephone number and enter a pin or meeting number to enter the conference this is not how this would look in the Office Communicator conference but the results would be the same.

At least I haven't seen this type of feature.

Doug

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:54 PM

All replies

• I an not sure I understand your question .  But Office Communicator can create conference calls by answering inbound calls and making outbound calls and conferencing them together.  You would need the Mediation server/IP Gateway connecting to the PSTN.

If you are thinking of the typical 3rd party conference call systems that allow callers to call a specific telephone number and enter a pin or meeting number to enter the conference this is not how this would look in the Office Communicator conference but the results would be the same.

Doug

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:54 PM
  • OCS 2007 offers you several ways to provide teleconferencing. You can have an IM session with audio & video and multiple parties can be added to these session. You can also have a Live Meeting session which can now be hosted internally and accessed by external clients. In the Live Meeting session you have audio and video capabilities. Microsoft is also releasing a new device calledthe RoundTable which is a conference room audio/video device that offers 360 degree, panoramic video. This is not a pan and tilt camera, it shows a 360 degree video in Live Meeting all at once so viewer can see the entire room at one time.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Hi Chad,

Thanks for the information. When doing the Video conferencing I understand that the A/V server provides a software based video stream mixing as opposed to having a hardware based MCU for mutiparty video conferencing.

If thats true can we have participants connecting to the video conference with varying speed so as to say that the software based video switching also proivdes you with Transrating and Transcoding functionalities. If it can it would be great as we wont have to invest in some third party hardware MCUs.

Can you please confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Arijit

Monday, April 9, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Heres, the stupidest question of all,  But how

I am aware that there is a conferencing button on office coumnicator 2005, which funny enough actually states it does not work in communication server 2005.. Is audio conferencing only avaliable in office cummunicator 2007, and how is this enabled.

and finally just to clarify, from the message i am under the impression that using office communicator server and office communicator, without a 3rd party software has the ability to use audio conferencing between 3 or more poeple. Is this statment true

Regards,

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:28 AM
  •  DougB12345 wrote:

I an not sure I understand your question .  But Office Communicator can create conference calls by answering inbound calls and making outbound calls and conferencing them together.  You would need the Mediation server/IP Gateway connecting to the PSTN.

Doug

Hi Doug, We do not actually have a PSTN. In office communicator 2003, there is no way of creating more that one Voice or video call simitaniously therefore no way of conferencing. Is this possible is Communications server 2007 with out the requirement of any thrid party software or hardware.

Regards, Alan

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Ive been searching, not finding for Office Communicator 2003 (OC03). I have multiple machines on a small network with a preexisting Office Suite 03 set up, but they do not have OC03. What would it take to get OC03 installed on these machines?

My searches only point to OC07.

Friday, August 29, 2008 11:18 PM