MS Office (Word) suddenly gone??? RRS feed

• Question

• Let me begin by stating I purchase the MS Office Suite 2007 through my employer (I am a Govt. Contractor). Besides Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, etc. I also purchased Project & Visio - I checked them and they work fine? 

I was in the middle of writing a letter in MS Word. Suddenly my screen went blue, then some data popped up stating my drive was corrupted - and suggested I turn off and restart my computer. I did this. As I rebotted, the screen turned blue, and the chdsk started running. I allowed it to complete and the computer finished  booting up. I opened my e-mail - fine. I opened my browser - fine. When I tried to go back into Word to finish writing my letter - The Winddows Installer Window opens, then another Window opens stating "This patch package could not be opened. Verify the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Patch package. 

I was going to remove then reinstall, however, I'm unable to locate the disk.

Is there any way I can recover this software?

Thanks!

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:08 PM

Answers

• "spencka" wrote in message news:d10ba642-f870-46b3-a3b5-84c8b1135d65...

Let me begin by stating I purchase the MS Office Suite 2007 through my employer (I am a Govt. Contractor). Besides Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, etc. I also purchased Project & Visio - I checked them and they work fine? 

I was in the middle of writing a letter in MS Word. Suddenly my screen went blue, then some data popped up stating my drive was corrupted - and suggested I turn off and restart my computer. I did this. As I rebotted, the screen turned blue, and the chdsk started running. I allowed it to complete and the computer finished  booting up. I opened my e-mail - fine. I opened my browser - fine. When I tried to go back into Word to finish writing my letter - The Winddows Installer Window opens, then another Window opens stating "This patch package could not be opened. Verify the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Patch package. 

Thanks!

You'd be far better off posting this question to an Office Answers forum - but if you're lucky you may be able to repair the installation using the Add/Remove Programs (or Programs ) applet in Control Panel
    If you highlight the Office entry there, you should be offered the option to Repair - take it and with any luck, it'll fix itself.
    You may also need to fix parts of Windows - in which case you should use the System File Checker
    In an Administrator Command Prompt, window, type SFC  /SCANNOW and hot the Enter key - depending on your version of Windows, you'll either need  your XP disk handy, or in Vista/Win7 the files required are already on the HD.

HTH - I suggest that if the above doesn't work, you try posting in the Answers forums for Office..... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/default.aspx

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:03 AM

All replies

• "spencka" wrote in message news:d10ba642-f870-46b3-a3b5-84c8b1135d65...

Let me begin by stating I purchase the MS Office Suite 2007 through my employer (I am a Govt. Contractor). Besides Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, etc. I also purchased Project & Visio - I checked them and they work fine? 

Thanks!

You'd be far better off posting this question to an Office Answers forum - but if you're lucky you may be able to repair the installation using the Add/Remove Programs (or Programs ) applet in Control Panel
    If you highlight the Office entry there, you should be offered the option to Repair - take it and with any luck, it'll fix itself.
    You may also need to fix parts of Windows - in which case you should use the System File Checker
    In an Administrator Command Prompt, window, type SFC  /SCANNOW and hot the Enter key - depending on your version of Windows, you'll either need  your XP disk handy, or in Vista/Win7 the files required are already on the HD.

HTH - I suggest that if the above doesn't work, you try posting in the Answers forums for Office..... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/default.aspx

--

Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:03 AM
  • Thanks for your link to the correct forum - I was wondering if I was in the right place - guess not! I did attempt your first suggestion, but didn;t see the repair option. I will repost in the correct forum and hope for some help!

Thanks again!

Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:17 AM
  • "spencka" wrote in message news:a061c4bd-2a12-4a88-b105-ae380412ab17...

Thanks for your link to the correct forum - I was wondering if I was in the right place - guess not! I did attempt your first suggestion, but didn;t see the repair option. I will repost in the correct forum and hope for some help!

Thanks again!

You're Welcome - Good Luck.

--

Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:11 AM